Who is competitive in my area?

Mack35976

Expert
Is there an easy way to find rates of independent companies in my county for home and auto besides getting quotes from different agents?
i.e., Travelers, Hartford, Progressive, Encompass, etc.

Is there an easy way to find rates of independent companies in my county for home and auto besides getting quotes from different agents?
i.e., Travelers, Hartford, Progressive, Encompass, etc.
Here theory there are rating systems that do this, at least for many of the insurers that work with independenet agents. However in general these rates are very generat in nature and not all that useful, I find.

So much of it comes down to underwriting and endorsements and differing coverage forms.

thank you. My experience has been captive with a Farm Bureau type company here in Alabama. I've just started doing research. My Allstate buddies are telling me I should buy a book instead of starting scratch. I'd appreciate any advice anyone wants to give.

A friend started a new office several years ago from a small Allstate book. They had so many screwed up rules, I had decided not to get involved with them. I totally get what you are saying. He has weathered many storms to survive.

Generally speaking, indi is the way to go.

Maybe there are some captive carriers that look good today, but in the long run, indi generally always make the most sense.

When things get funky, and they will, you're restricted with a captive company, but flexible when independent.

Back