Why are there so many rules to Medicare Advantage??

Yes. But the over regulating has the opposite effect. It runs good agents off. The ones that try to follow rules and be compliant. And bad agents thrive because they aren’t going to follow rules any way.

It’s just like the Do Not Call List. It penalizes good agents. But makes it much easier for the bad agents (and the scammers) that are going to call anyone and everyone.

Rules don’t apply to people that don’t follow rules. The whole gun law argument is correct that if they ever banned guns you would have a whole country of good law abiding people with no guns to protect themselves and criminals (law breakers) with all the guns.

Law makers and politicians live in a bubble. They seldom understand how their rules are going to play out in the real world.

you could argue it has the opposite effect, wouldn't you think the strict regulation would breed only really experienced agents that were able to handle the aggressive shifts. Reps that arent capable, or not willing to adhering to these shifts, all the while adjusting their processes accordingly, will come out with the wash.

wouldn't you think the strict regulation would breed only really experienced agents

Nope.

Still a bunch of greenies every year, recruited and "trained" right before AEP. Told how easy it is to sit in Walmart and take orders.

Most will be gone by Feb.

InsuranceGuy29, I'm not sure which carrier you're referring to in IL (or another State you cover), but I wouldn't count on the below statement forever:

Also, one carrier here will accept absolutely anyone for a Med Supp. plan G or F. So, if needed, they can be immediately put on that if things got really bad.

Horizon BCBS of NJ had GI Med Supp, but that stopped effective December 1st of this year. I know BCBS of IL currently offers it, but for how long is anyone's guess. Something about an upcoming CMS change, is why I heard NJ stopped offering it.

you could argue it has the opposite effect, wouldn't you think the strict regulation would breed only really experienced agents that were able to handle the aggressive shifts. Reps that arent capable, or not willing to adhering to these shifts, all the while adjusting their processes accordingly, will come out with the wash.

No. Because they make a lot of rules. But they don’t enforce them well. So it hinders the people who follow rules. And that actually gives the advantage to the people who don’t.

My opinion anyway.

InsuranceGuy29, I'm not sure which carrier you're referring to in IL (or another State you cover), but I wouldn't count on the below statement forever:

Also, one carrier here will accept absolutely anyone for a Med Supp. plan G or F. So, if needed, they can be immediately put on that if things got really bad.

Horizon BCBS of NJ had GI Med Supp, but that stopped effective December 1st of this year. I know BCBS of IL currently offers it, but for how long is anyone's guess. Something about an upcoming CMS change, is why I heard NJ stopped offering it.
He's referring to BCBS of Illinois. They're GI(no health questions). Have been as long as I can remember(and that goes back a while). The premium's high. I wrote a guy a BCBS Med Supp while he was in the nursing home. :yes:

No. Because they make a lot of rules. But they don’t enforce them well. So it hinders the people who follow rules. And that actually gives the advantage to the people who don’t.

My opinion anyway.

They just changed leaving it up to the carriers as of this year I believe...which will probably mean less oversight. So I’m interested to see how it plays out. You can’t be wrong if they don’t keep up with following up or enforcing regardless of whats In place.

There’s still the issue of being on an MA and then wanting a GI medigap. If the person is in lock-in, they would not be able to disenroll until aep for the following year. Also, is the GI Medigap always going to be GI? That could change in the future. Still it is nice to have a GI Supplement available. Also, I agree that MA plans are attractive to a lot of people.

I understand the company line of wanting to "protect" seniors, but I just feel like all 1,000,000,003 rules just aren't necessary. It almost feels like CMS and the insurance companies are putting all these provisions in to be able to say "gotcha!!," one day, and not pay the agents.

Also, not being able to get paid for any previous business, if you fail the AHIP test, is kind of ridiculous. But, I'm a newer agent. What do I know? lol. Just wondered if the vets have any opinions or thoughts on the matter. It all just seems ridiculous.

You basically can't even have a conversation with someone on Medicare without feeling like you're violating one of the rules.

I’m going to address the last paragraph. It is ridiculous that agents have any fear or worry about selling Medicare Advantage. I’ve been selling Medicare Advantage for a decade and can’t temember the last compliance issue I experienced. Nor do I hear of many agents having issues.

This fear has been instigated by agents or agencies with big mouth pieces for multiple reasons. Perhaps they sell Medicare Supplements only and therefore have a “MA is is a terrible product” attitude. Some agencies only sell Medicare Supplements, so they are motivated by money. They scare agents away from MA out of greed.

Funny, some of the biggest offenders now sell MA and recruit for MA. They make stupid statements such as, “I don’t really want to do this, but I want to help the agents do it right”. Hypocrites! They don’t care about agents, only how much money they make.

It obviously bothers as I’ve met dozens of agents they’ve scared away from selling MA, only to now sell it themselves. To put it another way; they hurt these agents financially out of their sense of self righteousness or just plain greed. So offensive!

Stop worrying, it’s complete nonsense to do so. Get certified and make some money!

Last edited:
Back