Why Choose a Bankers Fidelity Med Sup Over Some Others?

wicked22

Expert
Hello. First of all, I want to introduce myself. I am currently a captive agent with a company I will not mention, considering going independent. In the process of researching my options, I found this forum, and so far it has been a huge resource to me, so thank you. I have also been in the industry for quite a while, so I am very aware of some of the other stuff out there, which is why I am very confused on this situation.

Anyways, here is the scenario - I have a client who I signed up for a med sup back in December, T65, who had an active date 4/1/10. The most important thing to her - 100% coverage. Price was not an importance to her. Fast forward to 3 months ago. An independent sat down with her, and talked her into getting a G plan with Bankers Fidelity. The price is cheap - $87 a month, and I wont lie, overall it is a good deal. At the time, she decided to stay with me because no one had even heard of the company before, including her doctor, plus she loves the fact i live 5 minutes from her. We canceled everything out, and thought she just had the one. Wrong. two days ago I got a phone call that she still had the other insurance, the broker was back at her home, trying to get her to keep it. Now, here is where my question comes in. When you have an arsenal of companies you work with, including Family Life, Gerber, MoO, Continental, why would you work with Bankers fidelity? They are a very small company, according to AM Best. Financial size is 25 to 50 mill and have a B++ rating. I cant find the ratings for Family Life, but why not go towards Gerber - they have about the same pricing, have an outstanding rating, and they only have one mark against them for med sups and its that they are in their first year. I know that Family Life and Gerber is booming around here, where as Bankers Fidelity is not. Any insight would be wonderful!

If you are asking why the agent sells that company it could be one of three common things:
1 higher commissions
2. Lead support
3. Higher than average service from the company
4. May be a captive agent
I don't know anything about this company but it could be any of these things or a mix of several of them.

If you are asking why the agent sells that company it could be one of three common things:
1 higher commissions
2. Lead support
3. Higher than average service from the company
4. May be a captive agent
I don't know anything about this company but it could be any of these things or a mix of several of them.

1 - from what I've seen on this board, comssions are low, like 11-12%, i could be wrong though
2. Not sure about this one, other then if thats the case, why are so few agents selling it
3. same as #2
4. this person is definately not captice since he is appointed with at least 10 companies

When you said you canceled everything out, was that done by you, or the Beneficiary? Was it done over the phone, and if so, was the name of the person you/she spoke with written down? If it was on paper, where is that paperwork?

An assumption I am making (and we all know what happens when you assume) is that a phone call was placed to cancel the plan with Bankers, at which point the agent received a note about it, and went back over to save the sale.

Which is exactly what any of us would do if we were in his/her shoes.

Correct me if I am wrong, but prior to the Modernized Plans coming out in June 1, 2010, wasn't Plan F the plan that was 100% coverage, not Plan G?

The main reason the agent sold her that product was to beat the price on what you had put her in. He took the lower commission to make the sale. In Michigan, their Plan G was very cheap and it was issue age not attained age another selling point the agent probably pointed out.
Banker's has recently (In MI) changed to attained age on G.
Did the agent also sell her a small final expense? That's how they seem to make up for the low commission, they add final expense to it

Also Bankers Underwritting is easy. 70 units of Insulin is ok and heart/stroke problems no big deal. If your Captive I can assume you sell Bankers Life,Penn Life,United American, and your price is much much higher than any other company.

i agree, my price was more, but the question is why would they choose that one versus something by Family lIfe or Gerber. I think I found out the answer - he packaged it with something else, which is all on the same application. The CMS has said that no packaging is allowed with med supps - sell it on the next trip out. When i talked to the agent, he said it was "packaged" but would see if he could cancel one thing without the other - it was STC.

i agree, my price was more, but the question is why would they choose that one versus something by Family lIfe or Gerber. I think I found out the answer - he packaged it with something else, which is all on the same application. The CMS has said that no packaging is allowed with med supps - sell it on the next trip out. When i talked to the agent, he said it was "packaged" but would see if he could cancel one thing without the other - it was STC.

CMS has no such rule on med sups. I think I can see now why the person went with the other person.

They probably had product knowledge.

Be nice JD :) You can't package things with MAPD or PDP but Med supps you can.

The agent probably made more than going with the cheap med supp with low commissions and a "packaged" final expense plan rather than just offering Family Life, Gerber or United of Omaha.

Be nice JD :) You can't package things with MAPD or PDP but Med supps you can.

The agent probably made more than going with the cheap med supp with low commissions and a "packaged" final expense plan rather than just offering Family Life, Gerber or United of Omaha.

maybe, but, there are other reasons given in this thread for why they might have recommended the one he placed.

Just the nature of this business. If you don't do the best for the client, they will find somebody that will.

Back