Why Do All Agents Seem Suprised?

Everybody wants something for nothing. They fall in love with the idea of what most lead companies have to offer, supplying names of people who want what you've got, without having to go through the uncomfortable process of asking people who tell you no they are not interested. Then they find out, it's a tad harder to find people who are truly at a place in their life where insurance it at the forefront of their mind (takes a whole bunch of maturity to get there), but what they fail to understand is that there are a ton of people out there who know they need to address this issue, or at least have questions they'd like answered, who aren't going to go looking, they'll just wander through their daily lives knowing that if someone were to present themselves as a source of knowledge, they'd be sure to ask.

Once the agent has discovered that the image painted by the lead companies is a myth, they get upset, because they want that world to exist.

Everybody wants something for nothing. They fall in love with the idea of what most lead companies have to offer, supplying names of people who want what you've got, without having to go through the uncomfortable process of asking people who tell you no they are not interested. Then they find out, it's a tad harder to find people who are truly at a place in their life where insurance it at the forefront of their mind (takes a whole bunch of maturity to get there), but what they fail to understand is that there are a ton of people out there who know they need to address this issue, or at least have questions they'd like answered, who aren't going to go looking, they'll just wander through their daily lives knowing that if someone were to present themselves as a source of knowledge, they'd be sure to ask.

Once the agent has discovered that the image painted by the lead companies is a myth, they get upset, because they want that world to exist.

Very well said. My largest cases have always come from people who were never in the market for insurance until I talked to them. They never would have filled out an online quote request, or called an agent. Yet, once I had an opportunity to introduce myself and what I do, they bought plenty of insurance. No arm twisting required. Even better, there was no one to compete against. The lead hadn't been sold to twenty other agents. And in almost every case, they either bought it from me, or they didn't buy at all.

What you say is spot on.

I have run every kind of lead imaginable. I can say with a great degree of certainty that the leads were not filled out by people who are ready to make a purchase. They are simply curious, not shopping to acquire a policy. In other words they probably have questions but they would never think of calling an insurance agent and asking for that information.

Most agents think that if they have a "lead" that the person who filled out that card or form is serious about buying a policy. Nothing could be further from the truth.

They also believe that it isn't a "cold call". That also couldn't be further from the truth. It is a cold call in every sense of the word. The agent still has to engage them in conversation and peak their interest in learning more. They are not ready to sign an application.

It is up to the agent's skill in using the phone to bring insurance to the forefront of their mind. As you said, for most people this is a very uncomfortable thing to have to do. It's up to us to make it as painless as possible.

I don't sell insurance. I educate them using factual information presented logically so they can understand it.

Well put Insuranceman! And as far as the fellow who said that everybody wants something for nothing and agents fall in love with what lead companies offer, I have to agree to some point. What agent wouldn't want to have a list of qualified, interested people, in their target area, who fit their qualifications and will give them a chance to pitch their products? That is not a fantasy, there are companies out there who do just that. It is all a matter of finding a lead writer who will work with what you want and understand the quality that you require, and can deliver the quantity that you need while maintaing the consistency of the lead. A true telemarketed lead offers the chance to introduce the agent, even though he is not on the phone, the applicant should waiting for his call and know his name. The agent should at least be given the oppurtunity to understand the needs of the applicant and if he knows his product, propose an alternative to what they have that will benefit both the applicant and the agent. It is not sales that a lead comany provides but a targeted list of qualified persons who would be willing to learn about better coverage for their families, and who would also be open to options to possibly saving some money. Any lead company that claims to sell sales is selling dreams, its up to the agent to make sales, it is up to the lead writer to produce qualified contacts, who will listen to the agent and at least consider what he has to offer and look at the alternatives. If your looking for a lead company to generate leads, go out and make sales, and bring you back the commision you might just ask them to pay your electric bill as well.

What happens when a small company that provided quality leads becomes big with more clients to serve?

They become the true monsters that agents despise, less focus is put on quality and more emphasis on quantity. That is why it is important to communicate with your lead provider what you need and for them to either say they can or can't. Honesty and communication is the key, and to realize that there are some lead writers out there who actually survive on consistency and quality not just touting a "good" product and seeing how much money they can collet one time.
Growth is not always a bad thing, as long as quality, and consistency are still goals.

Ok so what small leads companies do you recommend? How do we reach them? Do they have a website? I have used a small local leads company with good results. Their website is leadco.biz. Don't all sign up now or they will grow to be large and evil, lol!

OK Georgia Leadmonster. If you truly have a better mousetrap, give me a call. I have dealt with almost all of them, big and small, over the years. I haven't bought leads in some time but I promise to be honest in my opinion.

I will also share my views in an unbiased manner with the people on this forum.

My contact information is in my signature. Look forward to hearing from you.

Back