Why isn't Progressive Covering my Accident

Progressive wants to make sure that there wasn't existing damage when you purchased the policy. Most every company would place a hard review of the information on a new policy with a claim in the first 30 days

I’m not claiming any damage and didn’t even make a claim for my car. The accident case is coming from the other guy and Progressive is basically saying without the bill of sale I’m not covered for liability

I’m not claiming any damage and didn’t even make a claim for my car. The accident case is coming from the other guy and Progressive is basically saying without the bill of sale I’m not covered for liability

So you held title to the vehicle prior to the accident. It looks like the policy pre-dated the title, so depending upon exact policy language and California law, it could be an issue, but I doubt it. Have you communicated to Progressive that you had title prior to the accident? Offer to send them a copy as it should settle the issue.

Does his story match yours as to date and time? Do you have a Progressive agent? Why didn't you call in the claim yourself if you know you are at fault? Did your first premium payment clear? Is there anything on the application which Progressive can use against you with regard to your vehicle, your personal information, your driving record? Call your agent and ask for an explanation

If I put in a claim will it fix things? I'm thinking since there's no claim on my end Progressive won't just offer me liability, I have to claim my liability. Maybe they are using "bill of sale" as a front and not wanting to remind me to actually make a claim.

I don't see any abnormalities on my insurance policy from what I see on the website. There's no conditional coverage, nothing.

If I claim and they still say I need the bill of sale.. what would my course of action be at that point? I would guess at that point I would pause and take my business elsewhere because then Progressive would effectively be withdrawing coverage and breaking contract.

You DO have a claim. You hit someone. It is your responsibility under your policy to notify your carrier. Call your agent

Since I bought my policy online I don’t have an agent, so I just filed a claim online

There's your problem. You don't have an agent and an advocate. Now you're online asking agents to fix your problem for free. The sad thing is, an agent actually wouldn't have cost you any more and may have actually gotten you better coverage and a better premium.

Very few people responding are in California and I personally do not have Progressive. So kind of hard to help when aren't familiar with the company and if there are any quirks related to the state.

But yes, you should call Progressive and start asking questions.

Yes, call the 800 number. Somewhere in your policy documents there is a clause which states that you MUST inform the company of a potential claim in a reasonable time frame. Some states further define that time frame as a number of days, say 20 daays after the incident. Failure to do so CAN result, by insurance law in the state, in an insurer absoving themselves from defending you or paying for you. (Louisiana comes to mind.)
Your accident was June 30, call your insurance company today, right now. Do not delay an additional hour. Stop using the online services for important stuff like this

6-12 Bought car.

6-19 Bought insurance.

6-21 Transferred title.

6-30 Had accident.

A copy of the dated title in your name should be enough. I think the requirement for the bill of sale is BS and typical Progressive shenanigans. I suggest you file a written complaint with your insurance department. You might also consider a consultation with an attorney who specializes in bad faith lawsuits against insurance companies.

VolAgent's comment about CA reminds me that CA is very strict about unfair claims practices.

Codes Display Text.

Last edited:
Back