Why isn't Progressive Covering my Accident

Hi adjusterJack

What is the liability claims process on my end that involves my car title? The requirement for which it seems they are concatenating a bill of sale clause out of thin air.

Progressives email: “we also need your bill of sale to resolve coverage”

How do I be heard within progressive while filing a complaint about this? It’s obvious they just don’t want to cover me. I do have my dated title.

Where do I file a complaint while dealing with progressive?

Upon reading just the first 2 sections of your cited article I find 5 violations of progressives course of action, I’m sure I could find 5 more

Last edited:
I made my claim my the agent said that they’ll get back to me on whether the bill of sale is required or not.

I’m going to file a complaint to the California department of insurance and see if I can get my grievances addressed there. Can someone knowledgeable in the claims process explain what role my dated title plays on enabling my liability coverage?

Can you contact the person or agency you purchased the car from and get a document which states you purchased the car on such and such a date? From the various dates you have listed it appears that Progressive is concerned that 1) you bought a policy for a vehicle you did not "own" until 2 days after the policy issued and 2) you did not notify them that you were involved in an accident. I don't have access to a California application so I can only guess at the reasoning but you can't insure something you don't own but I have had customers place a vehicle on their policy before they take delivery from a dealership but that is usually the same day or they were going to pick it up and went a different day.

Correction: I told progressive the seller (individual party) selling isn’t interested in providing bill of sale.

That makes sense so now it’s my word against Progressives.

The best I have is the sellers phone number and the last text I sent out on 6-12 which was to buy the car. Insurance policy was purchased on 6-19.

And then title transferred 2 days later. I thought insurance was already required at time of transfer. Didn’t think about it like how you just said.

So I didn’t say the vehicle wasnt officially mine when I bought the policy. What can I do now? My policy just voided?

Last edited:
You made a few mistakes along the way but the bottom line is that you owned the car prior to the accident, your bought the insurance prior to the accident, you got the title into your name prior to the accident.

That's all it should take and Progressive is in breach of contract and bad faith denying liability coverage just as it would be by denying you coverage for damage to your own vehicle (if you had the coverage).

File a written complaint with the insurance department. There are instructions on the website:

Getting Help

Keep a copy and send one to your claim rep and to the President/CEO of Progressive:

Tricia Griffith
The Progressive Corporation
6300 Wilson Mills Road
Mayfield Village, Ohio 44143
440-461-5000

Remind both of the CA Unfair Claims Practices Act.

That's about all you can do for now if you can't get that bill of sale.

Is there any possibility of ineffectual policy due to not owning the vehicle at the time of start of policy?

You bought the car, you paid for the car, you took possession of the car. You had an "insurable interest" at that time even though you might not have been officially recognized by the state of California as the owner until you transferred the title.

Back