Why only 2%...???

On Monday start a log. Write down everything you do for an eight hour day. If you did not spend 8 hours either:

*Generating leads
*Contacting prospects
*Conducting presentations

then you'll be part of the 98%

Darn - I spent 4 hours writing policies today. I guess I'm out.

Dan

P.S. Your point is well taken, just you need to allow some time to do things like following up and the dreaded paperwork. Playing solitaire doesn't help with anything.

I think it comes down to sales in general.

A lot of people get into sales jobs of all types because:
  1. They see some people making a lot of money
  2. They know that no one is accountable for their time
  3. Most anyone can get hired in sales- no special requirements
  4. It looks very easy to outsiders
  5. They don't have any idea they will have to spend money to get prospects
  6. They have a spouse that works or a "mommy" that pays all their bills so they need a place to go everyday so they don't have to go back to a job where they can't shuffle papers around all day and claim they "have a lot of stuff in the works."
Bottom line is; many people get into sales for all the wrong reaons and they basically don't want to work real hard. Very few of us get in because we love the prospecting and advancing our product knowledge and meeting with people and using our brains to figure out what do we have to offer this person that can benefit them how can I communicate that to them?

I think the agents that reach this forum have a better than average chance of making it because they are seeking out knowledge and mentors and ideas. We are using our free time to advance our knowledge and connect with others that we can learn from. Slackers don't do that.

My friend, my deepest and most sincere congratulations!!!

I've selling for almost 20 years, attended dozens of seminars, made 6 figures most of the time and never learned more about a sales career than with your post.

Thanks a huge lot because you gave me a brand new light that will improve my results big time for ever.

PS: if you ever show up in Boston, let me know - I guess I owe you a nice lunch

I agree (FWIW) with Alston and Newby (et al) its a great forum. I wish I would have had this knowledge distilled in a forum years ago when I first started. BTW writing the business and doing the paperwork does take a little time but I would generally do it first thing in the morning so it didn't get in the way of productivity (or late at night if there was a deadline looming).

The unnatural thing about this business is that the harder you work, the more work you create for yourself. More paperwork, more prospects to follow-up with, more meetings, ect. At least until someone to help out with the administrative side can be hired on.

Back