Why would an employer not offer

Not sure of the ins co. One America out of Atlanta is the broker.
.wife handles the details....I just got to deal with her wrath

It may be
..there nice guys, but ours just got screwed. Mainly because of how AFLAC set up the different employees and the agent in charge is a friend of mine...he mistakenly thought my wife would want to chat it up with him as well...not the case. Lol

I need to learn how to keep up. I read through your responses about AFLAC. You mentioned that the company did not review their contract, yikes.

If you wish to know a bit about how it works here is what I see it as. I hope you can disagree and share your thoughts with me. My initial thoughts were why would people pre-pay for something they've never used. The 'never used' part is why people should pre-pay now that I've had my membership. But like any other insurance it is a need not necessarily a want which is one of the reasons why someone will spend thousands of dollars on a handbag and not give a damn about life or health insurance. 74-80% of the sales are made after the 5-8th follow up.

Most people don't review their contracts because the cost to do so can be high.
A lawyer who will sit and bill you hundreds of dollars an hour would probably charge even more if they had to research a contract, find the issues, then explain it to you.

So LegalShield gives people the ability to just fax something in and not get another bill.

80% of the people in Europe have a legal insurance plan (ARAG). Less than 10% have something in the US even though you guys have 90% of the lawyers and 90% of the litigation. That is a big untapped marketplace. Many people have a commonly mistake LegalShield with other pre-paid plans which only offer advice and will preparation. Those are a waste of money in my opinion.

I mean... If you were to sell a membership to a friend who uses AT&T as the phone carrier they would save 18% off their phone bill right there from the membership benefits plan. That pretty much pays for the membership itself...

The upfront value of the membership which costs less than $20 a day is tens of thousands of dollars. I go into insurance agencies and ask them if they would like to become a broker. Most of them automatically think that it is just like all the other legal insurances they have which don't do jack squat and of course say no, not interested. Not my job to open a closed mind since I don't get paid by the hour.

But there are former insurance salespeople such as mr lavendar who sold this to hospitals, general motors, and many others. In fact, Subway franchisees are now offering the LegalShield small business plans to all their franchises. This guy enrolls companies with hundreds of thousands of employees. Last July he did $138,000 in one month closing a hospital (which he followed up with for years) and is making residuals on that as well.

Could you guys give me some objections as to why you wouldn't offer this to people? How much does it cost to have a letter written by a law firm and senior attorneys? Couple hundred dollars to a few thousand. We get those at no extra cost so it makes sense to collect when you get overcharged. We don't get the run around from customer service and things go straight to the legal department...
Do any of the other 'insurances' offer 24/7 emergency access when you are arrested, detained, have child support or the IRS knocking on your door? A lot of people (Florida especially) are getting arrested for crimes committed by the identity thief. We are partnered with Kroll Advisory Solutions the number one risk mitigating firm in the world (exclusive to our company). A licensed investigator gets that power of attorney signed by the victim and goes to work restoring the identity. If they can't do it noone can. They are simply the most experienced company in the world and work with fortune 500 clientel. You get access to that for your pennies a day.... We could charge thousands of dollars a month for this plan and the wealthy would still pay for it.

LegalShield is unlike anything I've seen on the market in terms of value to the customer. It is so simple once you sit down with an employer and go through the benefits and exclusions. This isn't an insurance designed to take money from people. All these complaints about getting charged on and on aren't from our company. Most of them are made by people a small group of people doing whatever they can to repeatedly trying to defame the company (maybe because they were lied to by one bad LegalShield marketing rep who didn't understand the benefits at the time). I know there are a lot of complaints about DUI not being covered and rightly so. This is a plan designed to help protect good people more than it is to protect the bad.

If someone is going to court ANYWAYS why not get the membership just for the 25% discounted hourly rate? There is no cap on it. They will get a senior attorney to represent them at a junior attorneys rate. If you were to spend $100,000 in court you would have kept $25,000 or more of that in your pocket. Maybe a demand letter that you otherwise would not have sent would have got you an out-of-court settlement. All for less than a dollar a day. $20 covers your family too. Can you and your spouse work an extra hour each month to get this plan? Absolutely. Are you going to say you would rather go around in life getting treated unfairly, not know your rights, not have access to an attorney, don't need your wills, and don't care about your kids safety? Identity thieves are targeting children. 5 year olds have houses in their names. Why? Because between 5 and 18 (whenever the age is to get a social security number) the thieves would be long gone and the family would be left with a nightmare on their hands. Everywhere you've been to your identity is already hacked.

Even an amateur can hack this forum and steal everyone's addresses, emails, use them in phishing scams, or use the passwords to hack into your social media accounts. There are surprisingly a lot of people who still use simple passwords like 123456 or words without a combination of numbers. This forum has zero protection for account security.

When LegalShield is offered to groups it costs something like $13 or something ridiculous per person and the $10 enrollment fee is waived. I can understand why employers are hesitant to offering other insurances right now and that is because they cost too much. When the economy tanked in 2008 LegalShield's membership sign ups went up because people needed help negotiating their credit card debt and help to avoid their home going up for foreclosure. Many of these people signed up from a website and did not have someone sit down and explain how the service worked and why it is a good lifetime investment.

So most people just take the advice they get from their friends and family which is to get the wills done, use it for a month then cancel. Heck of a bargain right since you just got a $2000 value right there. But since nobody explained how they could cancel their membership properly a lot of them kept getting billed.

If you want to cancel your membership (why on earth I don't know) you just call the toll-free number to member services and let them know you wish to cancel. They will walk you through the simple process. All you need to do is send an email requesting cancellation OR you can also fax it in writing. It must be either by email or in writing by fax. You cannot cancel just by calling them which is what most people do. After you send the email or fax call them to see what your account status is. Once it is confirmed that it is cancelled then it is officially cancelled. Don't just send in a fax or email and assume it is done. I mean come on.. You just got your will, living will, power of attorney for you and your spouse drafted by senior attorneys. It would take someone working at McDonalds 3 hours of work to get that and you can't take the initiative to call in and see that the membership is cancelled? Strange.

But overall the company does not have cancellation issues if you look on the BBB they're mostly all closed. The ones that pop up elsewhere are probably made up by someone from an insurance company or law firm that had bad dealings with someone representing the company.

I'm sure you guys have come across cheesy amateur salespeople in LegalShield who joined a week ago and talked to 100s of people about it. People just get straight up excited sometimes...

I could walk some of you through why LegalShield could help you have more time, money, and tax benefits, discounts from major stores. It seems like many of you already already have misconceptions of the service or company based on what you've heard from someone that pitched you. But if anything I've just mentioned is completely different than what you were told and would like to learn more let me know. I could have just showed all of you a link to a video instead of having you read through this but what the heck I type pretty fast.

When I say this service is excellent and one of the best things I've seen I only mean it in terms of value to the customer. They don't need to wait until their leg is broken to use it. They can have their contracts reviewed, get help filling out important forms and get those reviewed, get patched directly to the legal department and get help contacting government agencies, have letters written from a law firm rather than from themselves. By the way, never write demand letters from the office of yourself. It makes you look like a jester and you will get treated like one.

I've had people doing insurance sales tell me they can make more money doing what they do. I ask them if they aren't making sales are they getting paid. They say no. Then I tell them even when I don't hit my own targets or feel like taking the week off to travel I still have people that the people I've introduced to the business and so forth down several levels making membership sales not for me but for themselves so they can get their car/vacation bonus and make extra money. So I'm really not doing that much work and the business grows regardless. Name another industry that gives you more time freedom and takes care of all the overhead. You guys probably heard of Primerica and WFG. I'm personally a fan of the network marketing industry but not so much for these two companies. I believe in being completely upfront and honest with people. If someone is in these companies chances are they aren't advertising their competitors rates which are often times better than theirs.

Primerica offers a watered down LegalShield plan which doesn't have 24/7 emergency access and a lot of other things AND they even charge more for it. Not to mention get paid less in commissions. ALSO you have to get a license and pay to renew that license each year. I have a friend in Primerica and I love him but he tells me that if he wasn't already making a 6-figure income there he would come work with me.

Do you guys know that a penny doubled everyday for 31 days is $10.7 million dollars? Of course you do. So why do people reject network marketing? It's just misconceptions or assuming they know everything based on what they've heard one person say. I was once the same way. As a realist I had a very big ego and always had to be right. It takes courage to become a visionary and get involved in something that has such a high failure rate. I've asked myself many times why I was doing this and I even felt like quitting while giving presentations to groups. As long as I keep going good things eventually come.

I am going to go publish THIS novel on Amazon books and get 70% commissions. Consider yourselves part of my pre-launch. I'll call it
"My Rant on the Insurance Forum"

Business owners are burnt out with people walking in their door and "selling stuff". Unfortunately, some people in our profession have underwealmed them. We need to build credibility to our profession by providing value. Many agents have walk in with a brochure in hand and barfed all over them. Unfortunately, some leading companies in our profession teach new agents the least professional way to approach potential buyers. If we don't change our approach, we will never establish value.

This might be 5 years old - but still correct.

I've actually been in a meeting with a client (obtained via referral) when a new agent arrived with his card and a complete brochure in hand - to leave behind on a cold call.

When the new fellow left, the client showed me his boxed collection of cards and collectibles from that company - all marked with an "X". He planned to return it some day - when a manager walks in that can honor an agreement not to send anyone else out to see him.

I wished him good luck with the strategy and we both laughed and talked about the waste of time and money. He will never take them seriously.

I don't find the controllers thinking to make sense. I've had Colonial for about ten years and have used the accident policy twice. Where was she getting her numbers? Short term disability and cancer insurance are two of Colonials products I really like. I know people who have said the Cancer policy saved them financially after being diagnosed.
I bet the Controllers opinion would change should she become disabled, have a critical illness or God forbid be diagnosed with Cancer. All insurance, except Life is a game of chance. I'd rather let someone else carry the risk.

I will take Aflac over Colonial anyday. Aflac pays their claims quicker has been in the Fortune 500 for the past few years and is now 15. The rates usually beat Colonial. The person who only used the Accident policy 2 times. I will bet you there were more than 2 but didn't think that bump or bite was an accident. Also Aflac would be sending a wellness benefit every year on that accident policy.

One thing about the insurance business is there's nothing new under the sun.
Oh there is something new under the sun - so new that it is patented.
So new that our actuary, Milliman, stated they have seen nothing like this in over 20 years.
Don Levit
Principal National Prosperity Life and Health
Tpabenefit.com

Primerica offers a watered down LegalShield plan which doesn't have 24/7 emergency access and a lot of other things AND they even charge more for it. Not to mention get paid less in commissions.

Very good information. Thank you.

ALSO you have to get a license and pay to renew that license each year. I have a friend in Primerica and I love him but he tells me that if he wasn't already making a 6-figure income there he would come work with me.

Nearly every single person on this forum has an insurance license, and we pay for E&O insurance, continuing education, and to renew that license each year (or bi-annually).

The cost is minimal... but that's not the point. I'm going to teach you something really quick here: When you have the potential to cause damage to a person, you must have a license. A license does not mean competence. A license means you can be held liable for your recommendations. If that was not the case, the states would not require a license.

Do you guys know that a penny doubled everyday for 31 days is $10.7 million dollars? Of course you do.

Imagine the impact of taxes on that "penny doubled every day for 31 days":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8PJSnskOCU

So why do people reject network marketing? It's just misconceptions or assuming they know everything based on what they've heard one person say. I was once the same way. As a realist I had a very big ego and always had to be right. It takes courage to become a visionary and get involved in something that has such a high failure rate.

The insurance industry also has a high failure rate. It's usually because of your own (in)actions and a lack of good training that contribute to it.

I've asked myself many times why I was doing this and I even felt like quitting while giving presentations to groups. As long as I keep going good things eventually come.

Yes, perseverance is usually a prerequisite for success in any worthwhile endeavor.

Here's my problem with (most) network marketers. And since you sound 'sane' in this thread, I'll humor you with it.

Imagine you have the money to build a McDonalds (a common comparison made in most MLM meetings - to compare a distributorship with a franchise). You have your restaurant built... but you look around and notice that business is bad.

You have no:
- Inventory
- Employees
- Customers

What do most people in network marketing tell you to do? Go build another McDonald's. You don't duplicate business failures in order to be successful.

Now, I know that LS is different. You're selling an intangible. You can't get paid until product is sold - either yourself, or through your organization. LS encourages actually selling a product. I respect this organization because of that.

There are many MLM organizations that don't require that. That you only build up down-line organizations with personal consumption habits. Those are the 'pyramids' that have an illegal intent - no intention of retailing the product to an end consumer.

That excites me more than recruiting and training a bunch of people. Instead of recruiting a bunch of people to work 'for me' and trusting J. Paul Getty's quote of "I'd rather have 1% of 100 people's efforts than 100% of my own"... I take the control of my own destiny and don't have to rely on others. Perhaps I never learned how to properly screen for the right people to recruit into the organization as you say you do. But screening was NEVER a part of any 'MLM recruiter training' I've ever heard of. "If they have a desire, sign them up" is the mantra. Even with www.bigalbooks.com.

Some of the GOOD training for MLM is better than some of the training for life insurance agents. Tom "Big Al" Schreiter is one of those who produces great training content that can be applied to any sales industry. That's why I've signed up for his newsletter and I've received all his kindle books for free. It's just good stuff. I recommend you sign up for his stuff here: www.fortunenow.com

I gave you a hard time in that thread (now deleted) because you sounded precisely how I sounded at 18 years old hanging around a young, MLM-upshot named Tim Herr (now with Mona Vie). I knew him before he was a bigshot. He was one of those people who could sell ice to eskimos. He signed up everyone he could, got them their customers (from his own sales activity), so he could collect on his sign-up bonuses. He had a few people emerge as leaders, and that's the nature of the business. But he became a scammer over time. He once did a business start-up selling $100 retail priced water filters, rebranded them, and sold them for $300 a pop. I didn't like the cult-mentality that seemed to be celebrated at the highest levels of these companies.

The sooner you break yourself out of this mentality, the sooner you'll begin to really connect with people, get your ego out of your own way, and really begin to be a leader. Leadership is a mindset, not a position within your company's compensation plan.

I love what I do. I'm in charge of my schedule. I choose which companies to represent. I do a great job for my clients. I am paid very well... and I earn renewal commissions every year for taking good care of my clients. I'm very good at what I do... and I have the respect of my clients. I also obtain introductions from my clients because of the level of trust I developed with the quality services I provide. It's not just the product, but everything else that I do for the client. Plus, I don't have to be "high on crack" excited about the work I do with my clients. It's a serious business, and I love it.

Some professionals will stay arms-length away from any MLM program, simply because of the personal stigma it may have. For me, that includes LegalShield and SendOutCards. These are two programs that, if it weren't for a cultish mentality, would be a great asset for most agents and advisors.

The sooner you will begin to respect other professions and work with them, instead of being combative, the sooner you will be a respected leader.

Last edited:
Back