Wireless Medicine

That report is fascinating. I have no doubt that this technology will affect medical practices.

However, in some ways it is similar to saying people can choose their own health plan by using technology, without the aid of an agent. Just because technology exists doesn't mean the end user knows how to use it, or make decisions with it. You still need an experienced agent (or in this case lab technician).

For instance, when the doctor used the portable ultrasound machine on the male patient's heart in that video, the doctor had to reposition it to get a picture of the aorta that he wanted to see. So, how is the patient supposed to do that at home? And do we expect every doctor to do the screenings? Currently, a nurse comes in and does an EKG in a doctor's office, or else they send you to a lab where a lab tech does those tests.

All it will take is time...my nieces starting at age 3 can do things on a iphone and computer that fascinate me. Generational gaps are the hurdle now...won't always be the case with time.

Back