Medicine Cabinet Underwriting

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Most consumers and even many insurance agents are unaware that Humana, UnitedHealth Group , Aetna, Blue Cross plans, and other insurance giants have ready access to applicants' prescription histories. These online reports, available in seconds from a pair of little-known intermediary companies at a cost of only about $15 per search, typically include voluminous information going back five years on dosage, refills, and possible medical conditions. The reports also provide a numerical score predicting what a person may cost an insurer in the future.

They Know What's in Your Medicine Cabinet

I like how the title says they use this information to Deny coverage.

BS.

They use this information to underwrite and catch FRAUD and LIARS - period.

John makes a good point about auto insurance, someone people seem to think if it is your health somehow risk is a non factor.

The best way to handle risk is to segregate the risk such as Risk Pools. GI is a complete failure and so is community rating . I am getting sick of reading these news articles about how "...only 5 states have guaranteed coverage..."

What they leave out is the rates are so high no one can buy it.

What I find frustrating is the prevalence of these articles which perpetuate the myth that "healthy" people cannot get health insurance.

The woman in the article has HTN and swelling in her ankles. Any chance she has something wrong with her heart?

I would say there is a very good possibility.

I do a lot of business with Humana and have found them to be more reasonable with underwriting than any other carrier.

On several occasions I have been contacted by a local BW reporter, asking for feedback and insight into various health insurance issues. I don't know Chad Terhune but I am tempted to contact someone over there and ask why they did not report the full story.

As if they care . . .

Back