Wordpress Theme Help

scagnt83

Worldwide Expert of Everything
5000 Post Club
Can anyone recommend a website designer to create a simple wordpress theme?

Its actually a tweaked design of an existing wp.com theme... so im thinking it should be pretty easy for someone who knows what they are doing (unlike me)

Can anyone recommend a website designer to create a simple wordpress theme?

Its actually a tweaked design of an existing wp.com theme... so im thinking it should be pretty easy for someone who knows what they are doing (unlike me)

It depends on the type of change you're looking for. Actually changing a theme does require some skill. Adjusting content or some other changes can be fairly simple. Either way, feel free to message me and I can probably help you.

I have a wp.com theme that is totally screwed up when I upload it to wp.org
It only recognizes my last post, the menu shows (archives, meta, categories) instead of my pages, the post preview starts in the middle of the first sentence... and on the live preview it shows the current theme instead of the previewed theme when you click through to the one post it actually shows!

Plus I think that it might have caused a caching plugin to go haywire...

I like this theme when it is right, and is perfect for what I want to do... but I need help...

Wordpress is easily hacked, mostly because of the free plugins and site owners that do not routinely update their site (and plugins). Unless you want a professionally designed & hosted site (which can also be hacked) or a free Blogger site (which has little SEO value unless it has some age) you just have to learn to deal with issues.

When you don't know what you are doing, or hire someone who doesn't know what they are doing, you can break your site in a heartbeat.

For all the praise heaped on Wordpress, it sure seems finicky.

There are a number of reasons it's finicky, not the least of which is trying to have multiple developers add stuff to it. If you get an iPhone it is less finicky than an android because Apple controls the entire process. WordPress itself is open source and there are thousands of programmers that write programs and themes for it. Considering that it's a free program along with the number of different folks working with it, not to mention that it's supported on thousands of different types of servers, it's remarkably reliable for what it is. That said, it does come at a price.

Whats the name of the theme? You may need to delete and reinstall WP.

Yeah. I went through that the other night. But now I think it might have been due to a plugin and not the theme... idfk...

Anyway, hosting tech support claims it was the plugin and not the theme. But they also never looked at the theme either since it had already been deleted.

Totally deleting my caching plugin solved the problem. But maybe the theme did something to the plugin?? I guess I just dont believe in coincidences..lol.

But the bigger issue is that the wp.com theme that I like, when downloaded from the developers site, and uploaded to my wp.org site, does not look right.

So I am to the point now of needing the downloadable theme fixed to look right on .org and then tweaked slightly, mostly visual changes and the addition and subtraction of some widget boxes.

I posted the job on elance and most people were around $100. And most were from pakistan or india. I did find a guy in poland who quoted me $75.
But then ive received quotes of $500-$800.. but nothing in between.
I know that its not simple, but it shouldnt be that hard either I dont think, at least not $500 hard.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
For all the praise heaped on Wordpress, it sure seems finicky.

I tried the free version of a few different website builders/hosting and liked wp. The dashboard was easy to navigate and it made sense for the most part. But mostly I liked how the .org platform has the plugins. And I think thats why many people like it. You can find many different "features" to add to your site, and they are mostly all free. If you want a certain feature you can hire a developer to design it for you. It is just easy to customize.
And ironically, the plugins can often be what makes it finicky (which I just went through for the first time).

I am new to website building. I know that there are more advanced platforms for building a website. But for a beginner-moderate level knowledge base, wp.org isnt a bad choice imo.

I have heard good things about hostgator's website builder if your a beginner, but I have never used it.

Last edited:
Back