Working as a PT P&C agent?

Marko Ramius

Hello all...new here and had a few quick questions: I am finishing up my P&C pre-licensing program and then my goal is to work solely as a PT agent. Preferably for myself (think selling policies to friends, family, my local network). But, I'm not sure how this works or if its even a good idea. I have been around the insurance industry for a long time and enjoy the business, but I have a very good regular FT job with salary/benefits that I enjoy and don't want to give up. I was more interested in insurance as a source of extra income PT. Can this be done? Once licensed, can I simply start marketing policies? Am I required to work in an actual agency for an actual carrier? Where can I buy E&O insurance on myself? These are all things I am clueless about...would appreciate your feedback! Thank you in advance!

It takes a long time to learn the business, and even longer if you are part time.

It sounds like you have good income and benefits from your job, so instead of working more to make more money, you may want to put some energy into figuring out how to spend less of it so you can keep more, then investing in proven long term vehicles. It's done very well for me.

Or you can work more and say goodbye to your free time and hello to stress. Maybe have a heart attack at a young age from working too many hours you didn't need to. Either way, up to you.

First of all, as a part-timer, your odds of getting any appointment as an agency owner or an independent agent contract are slim at best. Your best bet is to work for an agency as a part-time producer in a local agency in your town.

Hello all...new here and had a few quick questions: I am finishing up my P&C pre-licensing program and then my goal is to work solely as a PT agent. Preferably for myself (think selling policies to friends, family, my local network). But, I'm not sure how this works or if its even a good idea. I have been around the insurance industry for a long time and enjoy the business, but I have a very good regular FT job with salary/benefits that I enjoy and don't want to give up. I was more interested in insurance as a source of extra income PT. Can this be done? Once licensed, can I simply start marketing policies? Am I required to work in an actual agency for an actual carrier? Where can I buy E&O insurance on myself? These are all things I am clueless about...would appreciate your feedback! Thank you in advance!

I'm basically out to do what you're doing in reverse.

I get my E&O from NAPA for $27.42 a mo since I'm in my first 2 years.

@Marko Ramius Although I am not as blunt as @Markthebroker in my response, I do agree P&C is a long game. Can you? Well, yeah... but you wouldn't be much of an asset to your client base as a trusted advisor... you would be more of an order-taker agent.

Also, be careful about who you sell to so it wouldn't be considered "Controlled" business (test question right there for ya).

Now all this being said, I started exactly the way you are suggesting you start, but I had 5 years of licensed experience before doing so and it was the hardest year or two of my life to start from scratch part-time.

The BEST advice I can give you is to find an agency to work part-time where your customers will benefit from having back-office service, and you will benefit from your clients having back-office support.

Alternatively, look into another line of insurance that is more PT-friendly, like FE.

But even there...doing it long-term as PT plus working a FT job will drain you. 9 hours at work, then go out on appointments, weekends, etc.

Back