Worst Advice you ever got in Insurance Industry?

To write small policies.

Frankly most any advice from anyone that hasn't succeeded in insurance sales should be ignored no matter how smart they are, or how successful they have been in a similar or related field. I received some terrible, terrible advice from some very successful people - in other fields.

Yeah, this one.

I have leveraged more small policies into big opportunities than I can count.

Yeah, this one.

I have leveraged more small policies into big opportunities than I can count.

I had some people in the beginning encouraging me to write small policies because they imagined I could write more, and there was less competition. Neither of which were true.

But hey, if small policies work for you, god bless.

I'm in the process of putting the file together for two small policies, but I try to keep them to a minimum.

Buy a policy on yourself (that you really can't afford) so your conviction will show (read: increase the pressure on others) to buy as you did.

I do thoroughly believe in owning what you sell, but if you can't convey the reasons why someone should buy OTHER than the fact that you did... that's just not good enough.

Buy a policy on yourself (that you really can't afford) so your conviction will show (read: increase the pressure on others) to buy as you did.

I do thoroughly believe in owning what you sell, but if you can't convey the reasons why someone should buy OTHER than the fact that you did... that's just not good enough.

Oooh. I forgot about that one. That was probably the first piece of horrible, horrible advice I got. The State Farm agent I worked for in the beginning of my career was pushing me hard to buy a life policy I neither wanted nor had a need for.

What is the worst advice you have ever got in the insurance industry?

Go into it.

LOL. Just kidding.

It's funny (not ha ha funny). My Dad spent decades as an insurance broker. All the years I was growing up I said I'd never go into the insurance business.

Through a series of unforeseen circumstances, I ended up in it anyway.

Made it work out well, though.

I had some people in the beginning encouraging me to write small policies because they imagined I could write more, and there was less competition. Neither of which were true.

But hey, if small policies work for you, god bless.

I'm in the process of putting the file together for two small policies, but I try to keep them to a minimum.
Maybe ignoring a small policy where there is a larger opportunity is a better way to say it.

I mainly write small policies on referrals or where I see an "in".

I turn down annoying business more than anything.

That's good advice too: don't write business with people who are a pain in the ass out of the gate. They're going to annoy you and never make you enough money to make it worth the effort.

Back