Writing 15 policies a week ?

Re: writing 15 policies a week??

Don't look for someone elses templates. Somarco's system works well (similar to mine for prospecting). Mine is more for after they say 'yes' and what I need to make sure happens.

Seriously though, listen to other ideas, and if you like them, incorporate them into your system, not the other way around. You would be surprised if you took a few hours and really stopped and worked on a 'checklist' for policy submission, you'll get it done. It will be tailored for you. You will modify it, adapt it, change it, hate it, curse at it, love it, etc. It will keep you on track.

My suggestion is you go one step above a post-it note, at least.

I do recommend having a prospecting system and a sales process system. Again, it's about taking other ideas and making them work for you.

Dan

Dahm....if you would cough up your lead source I am sure that a lot of guys here would be happy to provide you with some templates!:skeptical:

I have had several people pm me and call me and I was more than happy to talk a bit...I just don't think its a great idea to post on a forum when it could possibly affect one of my sources.

the reason that I wanted to see some templates is so that I could custom build my own off of what I saw...you know.. Use ideas off of each of them.

Don't look for someone elses templates. Somarco's system works well (similar to mine for prospecting). Mine is more for after they say 'yes' and what I need to make sure happens.

Interesting, now systems work. My how things change.

Interesting, now systems work. My how things change.

Never said they didn't. In fact, I think you are the one that said they didn't.

What doesn't work is buying systems because of a lack of motivation. A system doesn't replace motivation at all.

Dan

Never said they didn't. In fact, I think you are the one that said they didn't.

What doesn't work is buying systems because of a lack of motivation. A system doesn't replace motivation at all.

Dan

Nice, you say "in fact" and are wholly incorrect, I was slammed for mentioning a system several times.

I have had several people pm me and call me and I was more than happy to talk a bit...I just don't think its a great idea to post on a forum when it could possibly affect one of my sources.

the reason that I wanted to see some templates is so that I could custom build my own off of what I saw...you know.. Use ideas off of each of them.

We should get a few of us together to build one online as a sample.

Life Insurance Submission Checklist-

Step1. Thouroughly examine the application for complete answers.

etc.

If we work on it together we'd have one quickly.

If you've ever read the book High Probability Selling you'll know Jacques Werth is a big advocate of systems and checklists. Does anyone subscribe to his (Werth's) philosphy?

Last edited:

Well first off I am not writing 15 apps a week. I am more around 6-7 apps a week of which 4 are getting approved.
I can honestly say I consistently get 9 policies approved a month all year long. I know that a big differnce from 16 that I posted before.

What are the getting declined for? Do you want me to go into specific health conditions? Multiple medications treating multiple ailments, A major condition or procedure that has been in the last 5 years, any kind of ailment regarding the spine, and so on and so on.
I can't tell you how many people I speak to that are in need of disease management.

Okay. You really are not doing that badly, however, if you have a good number that are in need of disease mgt., you might try spending a little more time on the phone discussing their cases. It beats the heck out of finding out, after you've wasted time that could have been spent more productively.

Don't be in such a hurry to take an application, you're finding out that it doesn't pay off. I don't know your financial situation, but taking a little more time with the "prospects" as opposed to wasting time with "applicants" should help. It sounds simple, but take time to do pre-screens and study the uw guides, you won't regret it.

Jacques Werth is a big advocate of systems and checklists. Does anyone subscribe to his (Werth's) philosphy?

Never heard of him but if you say he is a good guy, then great.

Systems and pitches have never worked for me. I never say the same thing twice. Never do the same thing on the phone or (when I did belly to belly sales) do the same thing on an appointment.

I don't have a script.

My objective is to get the prospect to open up and establish a dialogue. From there I ask questions. The questions provide clues as to what the prospect expects to gain from a transaction.

If I sense the interview is stalling I will shift gears and ask what kind of work they do, or how long they have lived in Atlanta. Anything to engage them and get back on task.

The more the prospect is allowed to talk, and talk about themselves the better chance I have of turning them into a client.

What I do cannot be taught because my approach is part what I have observed others do over the years and a big part me. Rigid systems and scripts throw my game off. When I have tried doing it "their way" I miss the mark. I am too concerned about what I am supposed to do next that I fail to focus on my prospect.

I have a natural curiousity, a keen eye and a very good listener. I don't miss much whether it is face to face or over the phone. The little things I pick up on and come back to is why my clients can relate to me. They sense a genuine interest in them and a desire to help.

One of my best friends and an agent as well refers to me as a mensch.

I think that is a positive but I never know with him.

If systems, templates and scripts work for you then that is what you need to do.

Great quote Bob! (below)

I agree that you have to adapt mostly everything to your personality, you can't be me and I can't be you however, I might pick up a pointer here and there that can be incorporated into a my presentation that will work consistently. But first, you do need a starting point and guideline that will allow you to succeed in the business in order to continue learning, survive, continue adapting until you have it down cold, as you mentioned you do Bob. Nothing should be rigid, very often the client dictates the direction, and sometimes we have to lead, either way, we know how to get the desired destination.

"What I do cannot be taught because my approach is part what I have observed others do over the years and a big part me. Rigid systems and scripts throw my game off. When I have tried doing it "their way" I miss the mark. I am too concerned about what I am supposed to do next that I fail to focus on my prospect.

I wrote 7 a day (140 a month) while working for a major bank. Inserts were inserted into customers checking and savings account and we would contact reply cards and sell over the phone. Most agents did over 100 a month. Avg prem was $400-$500 a year. But, alas, the bubble burst. We couldn't do servicing on the underwriting requirements and ins. company complained. MGA cut leads in half and hired twice the agents. Ins. company also imposed a noncommissionable policy fee. End result was I could make as much money working a direct mail Mtg. Prot. program out of my house at full commission instead of 35% comm. And, didn't have to work 11 hours a day.

Back