Writing a DP-3 for a Homeowner??

There comes a time when you are paying for a policy or paying for a piece of paper. Which is the client doing?

That helps you figure out what to do here. Personally, I would just refuse the client; the money you are making is NOT worth the potential risk later IMO. If you choose to write it, just like mentioned before, make sure the client is VERY aware of what the risks are. Even then, I still wouldn't do it.

Adding all the things to make a DP3 policy like a basic HO3 is either impossible or very expensive, depending on the carrier. DP3's around here can have RC but usually lack things like liability, which is one of the most important things to a policy besides Coverage A and C.

Again, I would like to know why the client is trying to get one of these. In this state a DP policy is for when people CAN'T get an HO3, not to try and be less expensive...

Does your state have a FAIR plan for people that can't get insurance elsewhere? I'd just pass them the rates and tell them to ask for it somewhere else. I would probably not even try and pursue their auto.

I always said things not covered in the policy were covered in sections E and O. :)

Hey, a little humor never hurt anyone!

Hey! Its about time we got a newbie around here with a sense of humor and not have them get their feelings hurt..

Adding all the things to make a DP3 policy like a basic HO3 is either impossible or very expensive, depending on the carrier.
Not true in Florida. The DP3 with some carriers is VERY competitive even with everything added back, including O/L, RC, theft, etc. The nice thing about the DP3, The home owner can tailor the policy more to their needs. We have compared one of our carriers DP3 and HO3's, and the DP is a very good policy just about identical to the HO3, stricter guidelines than the HO3, but quite a bit cheaper!

Not true in Florida. The DP3 with some carriers is VERY competitive even with everything added back, including O/L, RC, theft, etc. The nice thing about the DP3, The home owner can tailor the policy more to their needs. We have compared one of our carriers DP3 and HO3's, and the DP is a very good policy just about identical to the HO3, stricter guidelines than the HO3, but quite a bit cheaper!

Well I stand corrected!

In my state, that is definitely not the case. It could be the case for the OP, though, so good point. Some companies like ASI do well with their DP policies but others are obviously made with the intent of not really being used other than an add-on to a normal package policy.

Well I stand corrected!

In my state, that is definitely not the case. It could be the case for the OP, though, so good point. Some companies like ASI do well with their DP policies but others are obviously made with the intent of not really being used other than an add-on to a normal package policy.
Asi is the carrier that comes to mind in fl too.

Back