Writing an App a Day

Writing an app a day is absolutely achievable, been doing it week in week out for close to a year. All sales are made face to face, in home. Here's how my average week breaks down.

30 direct mail leads
15 appointments set
10-12 sits
5-6 apps

It's not easy, but it's achievable.
Based on what you wrote, it sure seems like you just buy 30 leads and you wind up with 15 appointments. Surely there must be more to it than that.

I too am amazed that all you need to purchase is 30 leads. Are these "magic" leads? Give us more info.

Rick

P.S. Not disputing that you do it. Just find it hard to believe it only takes 30 leads.

Last edited:
Just based on experience, but hey.....even getting 50% of your leads to actually pick up the phone is a small miracle - which would mean 15 out of 30 even answering the phone. About 25% would be interested enough to set an appointment or 4.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Based on what you wrote, it sure seems like you just buy 30 leads and you wind up with 15 appointments. Surely there must be more to it than that.

I too am amazed that all you need to purchase is 30 leads. Are these "magic" leads? Give us more info.

Rick

P.S. Not disputing that you do it. Just find it hard to believe it only takes 30 leads.

The leads are far from magic, but they are targeted. One thing to keep in mind is what are you actually getting with fresh, exclusive, direct mail lead? You're getting someone that not only opens junk mail, they read it, then respond to it by mailing it back with very personal information included. There is NO question that there is a need, that's already been established by the reponse. The question is can you lead them through the process of getting what they want.

It's hard work tracking down 30 folks a week on the phone to set appointments with half of them, have most of them show up and then sell half of those. It's merely a strategy that works for those that work it and have average to above average sales skills.

Just based on experience, but hey.....even getting 50% of your leads to actually pick up the phone is a small miracle - which would mean 15 out of 30 even answering the phone. About 25% would be interested enough to set an appointment or 4.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Obviously there are a lot of variables in who you're mailing. I choose to work primarily a blue collar or rural market. About 50% of my leads have a cell phone and/or work phone. That said, it takes a fair number of dials to connect with them as you don't know what hours they work, etc.

I average 5 to 7 life apps per week and have been for 3 years. 75% are done by phone, leads have come from a variety of sources, including 40% from referrals.

The quality of lead does come into play, a lead generated from DM will likely do better then a internet lead. Yet though, I seriously doubt the average agent is going to have a 5 to 1 ratio, meaning out of every five leads purchase you get 1 "Delivery" of a policy, remember there will likely be a 20% fall off of all applications that one may write. Still though, I would agree with the idea of figuring out how much one wants to make in a year an go from there. I do not see the value in peddling low DB and Premium Term since the cost will likely be higher then directing ones efforts towards Businesses and the Self Employed. It absolutely makes no sense to me.

Well let's not take anything away from people who simply work hard. It's not only possible but actually easy to write an app a day with either life or health if you're working 8 full hours a day. I don't come to close to working 8 hours a day.

Well let's not take anything away from people who simply work hard. It's not only possible but actually easy to write an app a day with either life or health if you're working 8 full hours a day. I don't come to close to working 8 hours a day.

No it is not easy for an individaul to write an app a day without a serious marketing budget. Plus IMHO for a new agent to do it next to impossible.

Back