Yet Another BS Rule from CMS

The next CMS rule......
When visiting a seniors home to sell a med supp: You must make 12 appointments(all 48 hours apart) to discuss each of the plans A-L so that the seniors can understand how each plan works. Then before the senior decides to choose a plan the senior must take an 8 hour C.E. course on "The Nuts and Bolts of Medicare". You must then send in the course results with the application.

Rick:

I've been thinking about this and I'm guessing that CMS is trying to "codify" a regulation to avoid the following practice:

Agent knocks on prospects door to sell, say, a final expense product (maybe even $0 premium final expense :D).

Prospect answers and lets agent in.

Agent discusses product and prospect is not interested. Agent says, "Hey, there is something else you may be interested in. . .(SNP plan, $0 premium PFFS plan, HMO, etc.). The information's in my car, let's set up an appointment for, say, 5 minutes from now.

Agent returns in 5 minutes and enrolls client.

Craig

PS, my contact replied to my e-mail and we will be discussing this tomorrow, FWIW.

This is precisely the sales tactic used in the organization I initially joined when I began selling MAs. I recognized it as inconsistent with the rules as I read them, and, in the end, had no choice but to sever my relationship with them.

When I raised an objection to the owner of this "association" (a previous UA manager), I was told "when you have 17 years experience in this field, then you can complain". I told him I didn't need 17 years of insurance experience because I could read.

What I see here is a series of complaints against some Health Net agents who were pulling fast ones over clients.

Humana required all MA sales (HMO, PPO, PFFS) to have a phone verification. This is because they were accepting apps on dead people. So, CMS said they have to verify every sale.

Just because one company does it, does not mean all the carriers have to.

I agree. After all, it works for every politician out there.

From what I have learned, if you are doing your job properly, these are things you will not have to worry about.

Just got this crap from one of my carriers....

New cooling-off period for prospects is required when selling all Medigap, Medicare Advantage and PDP plans.

It is important that all Health Net producers who sell our Medicare plans identify all products to be discussed, including but not limited to Medigap, MA/MAPD plans and PDP to clients prior to any in-home meeting. New CMS requirements state that you must now notify your client, prior to an in-home appointment, all Medicare plans that will be discussed during your meeting. In the event where you want to present other plans not mentioned when scheduling the appointment, CMS is now requiring that you reschedule another in-home meeting at least 48 hours after the initial one with your client. The time between your two scheduled in-home appointments is referred by CMS as the cooling off period. CMS's goal, by implementing this requirement, is to help ensure that your client has accurate information for all recommended Medicare plans, so they can make an informed choice about their benefits without being pressured. You may leave materials and brochures on the additional products you plan to discuss at the ensuing appointment but you may not discuss them during the initial visit.

Rick

All right, I'm going to repeat this one more time, then you're all on your own.

Do not call it a Seminar.

Do not get company or product specific.

Conduct a Medicare Information Meeting at a local library or YMCA. If you are going to someone's home, say this...

Mrs. Smith. My name is Bob Levine. I am an insurance agent, who works with Medicare plans. You will be receiving, or should have already received your Medicare and You 200_ Book.

The reason for my call is to schedule a time to come by, and go through that book with you, so you understand your options. That's it.

This information is very boring, and can get confusing. I just want to make sure you understand it, fair enough?

WHY LET CMS CONTROL YOUR BUSINESS?

WE ARE SMARTER THAN THEY ARE!

THEY ARE GOVERNMENT DIMWITS!

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRHHHHH!:skeptical:

You know what you bring with you:

Medicare and You Book
Business Card
Pad of Paper
Pen/Pencil
Day Planner for setting up next visit

THAT'S IT!

NO APPROVAL FROM CMS, HUMANA, COVENTRY, UHC, OR PYRAMID NEEDED.

Bob -

All you've done is guaranteed that you need 2 meetings to sell someone, although I do like the marketing aspect of explaining stuff rather than selling.

Rick

Back