Your Opinion of Professional Designations

Five hundredthing what everyone else has said. For someone like me, designations do a lot to impress magazine and trade mag editors--but I can't imagine a licensed agent being so bowled over by my FLMI (actually, I only have a lowly ACS), ALU, CLU, whatever that he/she hires me to ghostwrite for him/her.

I've found that the agents who know the most about the business are not those who have a bunch of designations, but are those who care. You know as well as I do that you don't remember 90% of what you learn studying for the exams--you remember what matters as you do your job. The more you care about doing your job right, the more you'll remember.

Last edited:
I took the courses and exam for the CFP and it has helped tremendously in answering client questions and giving good overall advice. BUT, I haven't had one person remark on the letters or ask if I had any designations. They might help if you're trying to form a partnership with a CPA or something though. Bottom line...it was great for the knowledge (which is what you should technically get them for), but other than that, what do you expect to happen?

Sometimes I get impressed with all the initials I can put after my name (which mean nothing to anyone else).

Richard S. Bronstein, CSA, MSAA, ACBC, CBC, CIC(dropped)

Acually, the only one that matters is the BA in Poli Sci from UCLA.

Rick

I'd consider LUTCF from The American College & NAIFA - because it's technical training along with sales training. It's the only designation I've heard of that should help you improve your production as you're taking the courses.

After completing the LUTCF, I'd consider the CLU. (The LUTCF designation satisfies one elective towards obtaining the CLU.)

Why get them? Well, I do agree with Greensky, but there are other (better) reasons:
1) Credibility with referral partners - attorneys, CPAs, etc.
2) Proper training should help you recognize additional sales opportunities and better explain why you do what you do.
3) You need continuing education units anyway, so why not a designation? (If the time and expense doesn't matter to you.)
4. If you desire a career as a wholesaler, home office employee, etc., they can be a great resume enhancer.

However, the public has no idea what they mean, so I wouldn't use it as a "wedge" with your prospects. Prospects already assume that you know all you need to know just because you are licensed.

these letters are a waste of time... worthless as tits on a boar hog... spend the time marketing not taking some goofy online or classroom course.... sales is sales... go sell

Peeler, I would beg to differ. I think the letters may be more worthless than teats on a boar hog.
icon_biggrin.gif
I use to say the same thing until an animal science professor taught me the following. While teats on a boar hog may appear to serve no useful purpose they are predictors of potentially how many teats their female offspring will have. Since you want a sow to have large litters and be able to suckle many piglets you want the female to have as many teats as possible. If that is the case select a male with as many teats as possible. With that reason in mind I would argue that the letters are more worthless than teats on a boar hog. :D
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Actually I think the CLU, LUTCF, or ChFC are worth pursuing from a knowledge stand point.

Last edited:
From reading this thread, it seems that there are valid reasons for taking these courses from a knowledge standpoint that could translate into $$, and maybe give you some insight into helping clients that you may not have had otherwise.

I got burned out on having to get designations when I worked in manufacturing. Most of the ones that I received were required depending on the point of view of the higher ups, but with the exception of course work specifically designed to enhance your technical knowledge of a particluar process, a lot were just fluff, but for some ridiculous reason looked good on a resume'.

For those of you that have several for life and health, if you had to pick just one, which would it be? Not the easiest or hardest, but which has been the most useful?

There is no question that each of these designations offers a ton of opportunity to learn more about the nuances of your profession. The OP wanted to know what we thought the clients thought about them, and I think teats on a boar sums it up...ignoring the teats/offspring lesson Xrac gave us :)

The most useful, in my opinion is the CFP. It can help you better understand the range of planning opportunities in every situation.

"In order to be good at this business you gotta learn this business and now is the time to do it..." Boiler Room.

I think that anything you do as far as gaining knowledge enhances your credibility ten fold with everyone (other agents, clients, etc). Too many designations however can be looked upon poorly. So pick one to three that you would like to specialize CFP or CLU etc. and you'll put yourself a step ahead.

If they weren't useful why would there even be classes for them.

Back