Zoho CRM

Unless you have the/want to invest the money in a custom Sugar CRM, then ZOHO is the best option for most people.

First step is to define what features you want in a CRM.

It took a long time to set this up the way I wanted.

You're right on about defining what I need/want in a crm. For now, something simple and inexpensive, but with the option of upgrading, if needed. Don't want to deal with exporting/transferring data if I don't have to. I am leaning towards Zoho but also looking at Heap and Highrise.

What ultimately made you go with ZOHO over the rest?

For the past 4 years I've been using SugarCRM with MySQL as the database (both free!.) It is installed on my web server (web host.) I also have a copy of each on my Mac. I have a "script" that runs on my server that "dumps" the database every half-hour. I have another script on my Mac that "goes" to up to my server every half-hour, downloads the latest copy the database and then re-loads the local version so they are both in sync... at least within a half hour.

To set up Sugar on the web host and locally is not too difficult. The bash (it's a programming language) back-up scripts are also easy and I'm happy to share them... however my bet is that there are a ton of them on the web... probably better than the ones I wrote!

Al
Al,

I'm a big fan of awesome, but your setup seems just a tad too awesome for my current needs. I'm glad I can at least grasp the concept of combining cloud crm's and sql server databases but the implementation.. will most likely have to wait. I'll know who to bug when I'm ready though. :biggrin:

Mark, I have played around with the free version but could not figure out how to set up my own user fields. Is this something you can do with the $5 month version or does one need a more expensive monthly version?

Mark, I have played around with the free version but could not figure out how to set up my own user fields. Is this something you can do with the $5 month version or does one need a more expensive monthly version?

I set up all the user custom fields with the free version.

The biggest challenge is adapting any of the "generic" crms to the insurance business through your own customization, and getting it set up right before you start adding your client data. I am looking at moving to Zoho and have customized the "Potentials" tab to keep my policy data there. (Other crms like Salesforce call Potentials Opportunities) I have fields for Carrier, Policy Type, Effective Date, Premium, Commission, etc. which makes it easy to sort and report by any of these fields.

The biggest challenge is adapting any of the "generic" crms to the insurance business through your own customization, and getting it set up right before you start adding your client data. I am looking at moving to Zoho and have customized the "Potentials" tab to keep my policy data there. (Other crms like Salesforce call Potentials Opportunities) I have fields for Carrier, Policy Type, Effective Date, Premium, Commission, etc. which makes it easy to sort and report by any of these fields.

I'm thinking of moving from Salesforce (too pricey, IMHO). Did you migrate from Salesforce to Zoho?

Oprius might be ok for keeping track of names, addresses and other contact info, but I don't see any way for it to organize important client data for an insurance agent like policy info that you can track, search and report on.

For that, in a cloud based system you need something more on the line of Sugar, Zoho, Salesforce, etc.

It appears Oprius was designed more for MLM business opportunities.

It is a very thorough system, I use it and have been very pleased so far, its free and it is easily accessable.

Back