10/1 AEP Advertising

Interesting.

Like you all, I already mailed my current client list. I sent that out last week - the usual... AEP is coming soon, we can't make changes until 10/15, check your ANOC, please tell others about me... oh, and by the way, call me for a new ancillary product...

This kind of pre-AEP letter to clients is obviously OK.

But - I was more asking for the classic "New 2018 AEP MAPD benefits - return this card... blah blah blah... deadline: you have until 12/7" type mailings... sent to prospects (not clients).

I think it's pretty clear that this type can't get there until 10/1. To answer my own question... I think it would be tough to get in trouble for mailing it on 9/29 arriving on 10/2..

So long as you don't mention plan names, benefits for a specific plan or plan prices, you should be OK whether you mail to prospects or clients.

Anything that isn't OK to mail isn't OK to mail to clients either unless you cleared it with CMS.

The rules for what you can mail are the same for clients and prospects.

You may be thinking of the PTC rule. PTC rule applies to phone contact and email, text and other messaging. You can use any of the above to connect with an existing client. A prospect has to give you permission first.

Or you may be thinking of the rule that prohibits an agent from discussing next year's plans before 10/1. But that rule applies to plan specifics.

(It does have one exception. If a client receives their ANOC letter before 10/1 and calls with a question, you can answer their question. I'm not sure what else you can talk about during that conversation. Hopefully someone else can inform us.)

You can tell them that the AEP is imminent and all the other stuff you mentioned, you just can't tell them that plan X will be $xx a month or that a benefit is changing.

If you mail standard (bulk), you will want to put your pieces on the mail in the next week or so. It can take a long time for your prospects to receive your mailing.

This is the company I use for my postcard mailings:

Uprinting.com

I always mail the biggest size postcard. The difference in the cost of printing is minimal and the postage cost all sizes of postcard is the same for standard mail.

Last edited:
I think you are ok compliance wise, but I question doing an AEP bulk rate mailing that will hit the same time the major plans are doing there mailings. I have avoided mailing during AEP. Aren't you concerned that your mailing will be overlooked in favor of the pieces from Anthem, Humana, Medigold etc?

I think you are ok compliance wise, but I question doing an AEP bulk rate mailing that will hit the same time the major plans are doing there mailings. I have avoided mailing during AEP. Aren't you concerned that your mailing will be overlooked in favor of the pieces from Anthem, Humana, Medigold etc?

My thought was if I don't advertise then I have 0% chance of getting non-referral business. Who knows, it may end up being a waste of $, but I'd be surprised if I can't get something from it.

Back