2009: How Was It for You?

Speaking of company paid trips, I've been to Hawaii over 20 times and I've never paid a cent. I wish there was an option to convert the company paid trip to cash. Even at a discount.
A funny thing about this years Blue Shield of Ca paid trip to Hawaii.
At the last minute, Blue Shield of Ca "washed their sponsorship hands".
No Blue Shield meeting, no Blue Shield banners, etc.
No company people were allowed to go. The agents still went.
I think Blue Shield of Ca felt that given the current political and financial climate, Blue Shield didn't want any bad press.

Assurant also canceled their MGA trip for 2010 under pressure that it would look like they were "wasting" money. Time will tell if their GA trip to Cancun is still on.

"Origninally posted by Newby"
And I agree that if you had 40% of ANY product fall off the books, you are doing something way wrong. Probably closing WAY too hard.

"Originally posted by Russ"
I would agree with G. Gordon...you're doing something wrong. No wonder you're hurting for money.

No,.. it was my market.
#1 .First mistake. As a green agent, (still green), in Jan of '09, I spent all my money on FE leads. My bad!
#2 mistake. I marketed FE to $0-$15,000 income.
#3 mistake. I sold too many policies, and to folks that really could'nt afford them.
#4 and the big one...My mentors did'nt push me into MS sales until a few days ago. I think they wanted me to gain some experience before allowing me the opp. I wish it had'nt been a whole years worth of experience though.

Now that I know EVERYTHING, I can rock and roll. Been in the MS biz for only 2 days, and wrote 2 solid deals. Its on now!
All these cats down here in my area need to find some new territory, 'cause I want to go on a trip!

2009 was a very good year for me. I had decided at the end of 2008 that the '08 AEP was going to be my last.

I had dabbled in a few other things along with the MA business, FE, MP, selling term by phone. But, decided to go full time with FE. I had a lot of follow up to do for the '08 AEP as I had met people all during lock-in that I had promised to call. I did just about 100 MA plans during that AEP without any leads at all other my self generated ones. That kept me from getting going on my FE business. I was given free leads by one company at the end of Dec. because I had done so many enrollments. I was working them in Jan. along with FE part time. I still managed to write $6000 ap in FE business in Jan. I decided to stop the MA stuff cold turkey and go full time with FE as of Feb. 1. Then we had the huge ice storm that knocked me out of power for two weeks. Still, I managed to write $10,000 ap in business in Feb. anyway.

Then things really started rolling along. I ended the year with almost $180,000 ap in FE business. The last 6 weeks have been a little slower on that front as I had a lot of clients to service during this AEP from all my previous business. I had almost 400 active Wellcare and Coventry clients that were losing their plans. I referred the ones that wanted to stay with an MA plan out to other agents. I helped one agent have the best year he's ever had. I did move about 25 of those clients into med sups since they had a GI., {that's some nice residual income for a few years}. I couldn't say how many PDP's I did this year. At least 100. I didn't put any of them with companies I represent, I just helped them get on line and enroll or by phone into whatever plan was best for them.

I did take off a week in August for the Ky State Fair and then a week in Oct. for a trip to Mexico. I also took off last week and this one, {no AEP to worry about}.

I'm pretty satisfied with how 2009 went business wise. Now that I've settled into my niche, I hoping that 2010 will be even better.

I had a great year. I did very well in med. supps, sold some Final expense, some major medical, a little life here and there, some commercial insurance, spent weekends with my wife and children, was home just about every night at 5 p.m., did a lot of work for my church, went to whatever UVA sporting event I chose to go to, and found out that insurance is like other careers, you get out of it what you put into it.

Another success story is that I made a lot of mistakes at the beginning of this year, but won't repeat that in 2010. That has already made 2010 a better year than 2009.

Last edited:
Some of my biggest months of my career. The bad months were self imposed. December was one of the best months of the year. More than 80% of my Dec written business is already issued and paid.

We wrote policies at $10.00 per month. We also wrote some at about $1,000. per month. We learned to adjust, adapt and overcome. And mostly we serviced, serviced, serviced. If we were not rewriting our own policies, we were rewriting other agents policies.

I am totally jazzed going into "10"

2009 was a great year.National Medicare Supplements
medicare supplemental insurance resource
Get answers about medigap plans in your state
Medicare Supplement Insurance Quotes - Compare Plans Online
National Medicare Supplements
Medicare information, medicare supplement insurance plans resource, lean the new changes to medicare and medicare supplement insure. American Seniors insurance American Seniors - Medicare Supplement Insurance Quotes

medicare supplement insurance information guide website and Medicare supplement Insurance website
American Seniors Insurance
www.americanseniors.com (American Seniors - Medicare Supplement Insurance Quotes)

National Medicare Supplements

medicare supplemental insurance guide
Get answers about medigap plans in your state
www.nationalmedicaresupplements.com

Last edited:
2009 was pivotal...

I went from indy to captive. I became a Sales Account Manager for Evercare with their IP product (nursing home). I like the product, work with a good team, and make good money.

I wasn't looking to go captive, but came across this position, and decided to try it out. So far so good...

$180,000 of annual premium would around $180,000 annually.
Maybe $1800. net if you buy leads.:D

I am a life guy so not sure what AEP is or the Commission is. FE is generally going to be around 90-110% depending on the Company, product and contract.

It's difficult to digest my 2009 results. During the AEP I wrote 215 apps and 90% were to current clients. I've been in business 12 yrs and have a large base. Problem is taking care of client base leaves little time for new business during AEP. I had referrals but again main focus was on current clients. I'm looking for a product once the season slows in April..any ideas? I jumped into major med last year and did well as far a sales go...but the persistancy is terrible...I won't focus there again...I'll just carry it as another product when appropriate vs telemarketing leads etc. What other products do you sell during slow Medicare season?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I've never responded to a blog...hope I'm doing this correctly. Regarding doing FE...is my math correct...at $180000AP that's about $18000 income? Which co's do you sell for?

Back