2014 ACA Enrollment Tips (Agents Helping Agents)

Agent friend in another part of state (he's a long time lurker on here), told me his appointment today told him she received a call from some guy in Mass. pushing a Aetna plan off the exchange here in NC. Told the lady she did not qualify for a subsidy and tried to sell her the Aetna plan. By buddy enrolled her on a subsidized plan for $50...here come the agents who will give the good ones a bad name.....

Is disability income considered income ? I know dumb question, please clarify.

My understanding is:

If it is a public program like Social Security Disability Income (SSDI), then it is taxable.

If it is private insurance that you purchased with after tax dollars then no it is not taxable.

If it is private insurance that you purchased with pre tax dollars or that your Employer paid the premium for, then yes it is taxable.

My understanding is:
If it is a public program like Social Security Disability Income (SSDI), then it is taxable.

EXACTLY. The wording on HealthCare.gov doesn't always match the underlying formula, however. There will be a lot of people getting hammered by the IRS when they file their 2014 taxes in 2015. Sometimes I feel like taking a photo of the computer screen in these outlier family situations, just to prove to the client (when he/she owes big $$$ to IRS) that we answered the question truthfully.

----------

BTW..can someone tell me how to view the client's completed Marketplace Application after you download it to the computer? It's saved in some strange .mhtml format that won't open. Clicking on it opens the web browser but nothing appears but a blank browser window. Our government minds at work again.
ac

BTW..can someone tell me how to view the client's completed Marketplace Application after you download it to the computer? It's saved in some strange .mhtml format that won't open. Clicking on it opens the web browser but nothing appears but a blank browser window. Our government minds at work again.
ac
Try firefox - it worked for me

Common law marriage does not work. You have to use the combined household income but the subsidy appears to applied separately. Had one where the lady had no income, been together for 13 years, husband at $25k, subsidy for him only... she didn't qualify for diddly. She is the one they really needed covered although both were applying. Wedding bells to come.

Reminder Tip:

If doing applications with a client print a copy of the application for your records. This can be useful if you need to redo the application and to verify that you indeed worked on the case.

I would also save the image(or print screen) once an app has been submitted so you could potentially show a carrier that indeed the app is finished.

Reminder Tip:

If doing applications with a client print a copy of the application for your records. This can be useful if you need to redo the application and to verify that you indeed worked on the case.

I would also save the image(or print screen) once an app has been submitted so you could potentially show a carrier that indeed the app is finished.

I have been taking 3 screen shots and emailing them to the client that way we both have records of it.

Latest posts

Back