25, No Experience, Saying Hello

Do a google search of Aflac on glass door.

Before answering your question. What do you want to do?

Auto, home, life, health, annuities, etc etc.

Which part of the life health test interested you the most?

Aflac is high high turn over. They make their money off of there agents. The computer and everything else. Lowest commission also.

State Farm could be good depending on the agency you work under. They usually offer a base with very small commission. But 6 months of experience could help you if you had absolutely no sales experience, provided you had a base at SF to fall back on.

Aflac makes it seem like there renewals are huge, but you'll find there not too great when compared to an independent standpoint. And renewals is the last thing you should worry about starting out.

What you should be worrying about is how will I get in front of as many people as I can.

Life, Health seems like the most interesting field to me. Problem is, Life isn't mandated, primarily what I'd be selling with Aflac. Auto is mandated. I have no experience at all and feel like I grasp the majority of the terms and issues within a few practice tests I've completed for the Life and Health exam.

Aflac allows you to work in the field, I like that, however I'm sure it gets old after a while. SF keeps you couped up in the office, correct me if I'm wrong. The salary + commission is by far the greatest draw towards SF, and the fact they are #1 in the business.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Life, Health seems like the most interesting field to me. Problem is, Life isn't mandated, primarily what I'd be selling with Aflac. Auto is mandated. I have no experience at all and feel like I grasp the majority of the terms and issues within a few practice tests I've completed for the Life and Health exam. Aflac allows you to work in the field, I like that, however I'm sure it gets old after a while. SF keeps you couped up in the office, correct me if I'm wrong. The salary + commission is by far the greatest draw towards SF, and the fact they are #1 in the business. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Aflac is primarily supplemental benefits or voluntary benefits, such as critical illness and long/short term disability which is not mandated.

Right now you can't sell health unless a life changing event is present or it's a group policy.

SF isn't #1 in the business. But they do have a lot of name recognition. If you want to do auto and home, you have to get a PnC license (state dependent of how you took your test).

New York life has a fairly good training program from what I hear if you want to focus on life. They have a GA you could do health through. But I would suggest if you want to do health, focus on that and not everything else because it is a lot of renewing old business from year to year.

Aflac is primarily supplemental benefits or voluntary benefits, such as critical illness and long/short term disability which is not mandated.

Right now you can't sell health unless a life changing event is present or it's a group policy.

SF isn't #1 in the business. But they do have a lot of name recognition. If you want to do auto and home, you have to get a PnC license (state dependent of how you took your test).

New York life has a fairly good training program from what I hear if you want to focus on life. They have a GA you could do health through. But I would suggest if you want to do health, focus on that and not everything else because it is a lot of renewing old business from year to year.

Does New York Life offer paid training? I'm not in the best situation financially to make this move, but its imperative at this point in my life. Is working as a State Farm Team Member primarily an office job working the phones all day? The position is Account Associate.

Does New York Life offer paid training? I'm not in the best situation financially to make this move, but its imperative at this point in my life. Is working as a State Farm Team Member primarily an office job working the phones all day? The position is Account Associate.

Not sure on the compensation. Western Southern offers compensation during training. The SF is an office type job. Calling on a book of business etc etc.

Last edited:
The problem with both of these is that they are both captive - which means limited products. They are also constantly recruiting which means high-turnover. If you're looking to learn the basics before moving on to something else, then they can be a good place to start if you're a hard worker.

SF does not have high turnover compared to AFLAC or a FARMERS.

If not SF or Aflac, whats the recommendation?

It sounds like you would prefer getting out and about to working in a office environment.

Find a good independent agency that will teach you to prospect and offer support and a cubicle, but also let you build a business together as you like.

Call on the types of businesses that you would like to work with and ask them who they have their benefits with. Call the agency and schedule an interview.

It sounds like you would prefer getting out and about to working in a office environment.

Find a good independent agency that will teach you to prospect and offer support and a cubicle, but also let you build a business together as you like.

Call on the types of businesses that you would like to work with and ask them who they have their benefits with. Call the agency and schedule an interview.

That's correct. Working in an office type environment seems far less exciting than getting out in the field and meeting with business owners face to face.

I believe that State Farm's far and away #1.

AFLAC sells supplemental heath plans which can be sold year around. That being said...I'd never have anything to do with AFLAC!

"The problem with both of these is that they are both captive - which means limited products."
Incorrect. Many agents sell AFLAC and are not captive. Also, I'm surprised how everyone that has weighed in are so against what AFLAC does. They are the 800 pound gorilla in the space (it's not even close) and the benefits (to the policyholder) offered have changed countless lives

As an agent, you can do well there since you've shown a desire to get out there and work. Where are you located by the way? If you are open to moving, I can hook you up with a great mentor for AFLAC.

Last edited:
"The problem with both of these is that they are both captive - which means limited products."
Incorrect. Many agents sell AFLAC and are not captive. Also, I'm surprised how everyone that has weighed in are so against what AFLAC does. They are the 800 pound gorilla in the space (it's not even close) and the benefits (to the policyholder) offered have changed countless lives

As an agent, you can do well there since you've shown a desire to get out there and work. Where are you located by the way? If you are open to moving, I can hook you up with a great mentor for AFLAC.

I don't really understand all the hate for AFLAC either. Seems like the best provider for supplemental insurance out there. I'm located in Columbia, SC. I'd love to speak someone about it that's on the inside.

Back