25, No Experience, Saying Hello

You may be the only person I've ever seen post this. VB as a whole are a complete PITA for a small business owner and at the end of the day only about 30-40% of employees take advantage of the program. Then how ask me how 'grateful' they are that you opened the business up to VB benefits in the first place...yeah not so much.

Now I'm not a VB's sales rep, so the mileage my vary. I can only speak as an employer with 25-35 employees...PITA!

Hey Gooner and that's if everything goes perfect right if not it becomes more hassle than it is worth.

We switched from AFLAC to a much lower cost plan for our employees in Nov of last year...complete and total cluster

I think that's the part new agents don't get....They need to make 2 sales and the first one is to the owner who personally does not benefit from the voluntary benefits unless you consider it a recruiting/retention tool for employees. Even more difficult is if a business has put a plan in place before unless they have forgotten they will remember the utter PITA that it was and then like you mention you only pick up 30-40% of the group on those low commissions and most AFLAC groups I have ever seen seem to push the accident plan DI and life seem to be the last things touched.

Look guys, I'm just trying to gather enough information to weigh the pros vs cons. Based on what this esteemed board has ruled, the cons outweigh the pros. Keep in mind, I have ZERO experience in this field. State Farm is an alternative that may present itself, what is the overall opinion on that company?

Hey, I'm just giving a counter view. I just think this young gent who is looking for a company to align with, should know that AFLAC is a good company with good agents that do good things in the supplemental market. Sure, they have bad apples there but they don't usually stick around long.

As a few have said, this job is selling yourself and then offering products that employees (ers) want and that accomplishes their goals of not leaving themselves uncovered in case of an illness or injury.

I've had AFLAC products in the past and felt a lot better knowing I had some things in place just in case.

Some of you guys are making them sound worse than LH (though in a different space).

The problem with AFLAC is there is an oversaturation of agents and low commission. The only way most people can be successful is to sell other products in conjunction with the AFLAC stuff.

Look guys, I'm just trying to gather enough information to weigh the pros vs cons. Based on what this esteemed board has ruled, the cons outweigh the pros. Keep in mind, I have ZERO experience in this field. State Farm is an alternative that may present itself, what is the overall opinion on that company?

Just realize there is a big difference between P&C especially as an employee team member and Life & Health full commission. If you need money every week right now this may not be the career for you.

The problem with both of these is that they are both captive - which means limited products. They are also constantly recruiting which means high-turnover. If you're looking to learn the basics before moving on to something else, then they can be a good place to start if you're a hard worker.

Aflac is not captive. They used to be my biggest client when I had my telemarketing company

The problem with aflac is their support structure. Its no existent and their technology is in the stone age. 99% of office are independently operated by reagional managers and they are the sole source of support for you as an agent. Unless you get lucky with a good DSC and Regional Manager most agents are set loose with a list after getting their license. If you havent sold insurance before its tough to make it past the 1st year. Have a part time job or something

----------

If I were you I would call some of the local insurance agencies and find a mentor.

If you can impress one of the agency owners to take you under your wing its your best bet in learning the industry. Dont set up shop by yourself like state farm or Farmers or some crap. You will be forced to do everything yourself and you will make a lot of mistakes. If you can get an already established agent to teach you the ropes its your best bet

If I had to pick the lesser of the two evils I would choose Statefarm every time. AT least their corp will train you and provide support and ongoing education I would never rely on the Aflac District Managers as I have not been too impressed minus one office in Irvine, CA.

Last edited:
Back