$7,000.00, a Dream, and a Whole Buncha Entreprenurial Spirit

If you plan on focusing on med supps and you don't have much money, why do you feel you need to pay for an office.
I doubt most med supp clients will come to you.

Unless the office is super cheap or something else I don't knoe
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Should be *know. Mobile app, can't edit
He said he had a "home office".. I assume that means he has a desk, computer and filing cabinet in his home and is not paying for office space.

Hey everyone. I hope this thread will be appropriate for the forum and generate at least some interest. The tone of my entries will be somewhat "bloggy," but I hope to document my success's, my failures, and create a record of my new adventure that I can look back on and say - I did it. Maybe, just maybe, I'll create inspiration for someone else to do the same.

For some background I'm 24 years old and have been selling insurance for a little over five years. Mostly I've focused on Major Medical with a little life insurance, and medicare supplements peppered in the mix. My employer was great when I started. They were willing to take a green 19 year old kid, get me trained, licensed and give me an office, support, and a living wage. Eventually, building a book for someone else becomes unsatisfying and an awesome deal for them, but not so great for the captive agent.

Beginning February 1st, 2012 I'll be venturing out on my own to build my first business. I have $7,000 to my name, low personal expenses, a home office, and a raw determination to make it. Although I have little experience in the Med Supp market, it's where I will be focusing my energy.

Over the next couple months I hope to talk about my progress in readying myself for the transition. I want to speak on everything from my self education, prospecting plans, my business plan, home office logistics and eventually my successes and failures as everything gets off the ground. I welcome advice, commentary, and anything that anyone wishes to add to this work in progress. Heck, feel free to chime in with your own stories about how you got started, I'd love the to hear the inspiration. Good luck to everyone going into 2012, it's going to be a great year!

This is why I believe you will be so much more successful than the "average", if there is such a thing, agent who just wants to "get rich" selling insurance.

You sound intelligent and are able to communicate using the written word. Anyone who has mastered the ability to communicate using both the written and spoken word is more than 50% on their way to being successful and 90% ahead of those who can't.

You actually know where the caps key is, how to type complete sentences and know what a paragraph is and when to use it. You don't attempt to communicate with other adults like you were a thirteen year old texting.

You have taken a very intelligent, calculated approach to becoming a professional agent who wants to build a business and career as an insurance agent. Not someone just looking to make money.

You are 24 years old and have $7,000 and low personal expenses. That in itself tells volumes about who you are.

If I were trying to build an agency I would be proud to have you as a part of the team. I already have all of the information I need to know that you would be a huge asset.

Boy that is refreshing. A young guy who is going out on his own AFTER learning the basics and ISN'T trying to figure an angle to steal all his former employer's clients, isn't bitter AND isn't "building a team."

I believe you will succeed. Good luck with it!

I'm not bitter. I never called that guys clients but I wanted
to. I can offer them better rates, better polices etc...

Holiday Cheer

[FONT=&quot]The holiday season is here… lucky me. It’s that time of year that the agency I’m employed by takes it upon itself to mercilessly pump us up with more holiday cheer than St. Nicholas himself. In December, I’m no longer an insurance agent. My new job description includes window painting, paper snowflake cutting, tinsel hanging, Christmas tree fluffing, and meticulously searching the string of lights to find the one ****ing bulb that went out causing the whole damn chain to no longer work. To keep our spirits rolling, we listen to “Cheer 95.1 radio” at a volume just slightly below deafening and rock out to jingle bell rock, O Tannenbaum, and my personal favorite: Dolly Parton’s home for Christmas.

It’s not all bad though. Soon I’ll take the scenic and snowy drive North through the Cascade Range mountains to see family and eat good food. Growing up my dad claimed dominion over the kitchen and holiday meals were a thing of legend. On Christmas day waves of food were marched outward from the kitchen like battalions of unfortunate soldiers never a match for four kids, holiday visitors, and a lucky begging black Labrador. This year I look forward to gift giving, egg nog drinking, drunken storytelling, and the warmth of seeing family and friends.

Over the holiday I plan to talk to my family about my move away from being employed to being my own employer. I’ve never needed to sugar coat my decisions and my parents have always been supportive of which ever path I decide to take. I’m going to be straight forward and direct and let them know which direction I’m heading.

“Mom… Dad,” I’ll say. “I’ve decided to start my own insurance agency.”
“Really?”
“Yes. It will be a challenge but in the end I think it’s for the best.”
“Tell us about your plan then.”
“Well, I’m going to quit my job with a steady paycheck, medical insurance, a 401k, back office support, and cash flow for marketing money. Instead, I’m starting an agency in an empty room of my house with the small amount of savings I have, no medical benefits, no back office support, all while working on commission with absolutely no guarantee of income. Wish me luck.”

Ok, maybe I’ll sugar coat it a little.

However the conversation goes it's sure to be a great Christmas and I look forward to the new year. I hope everyone has a festive time with family and friends. Make sure to eat more food than you should, drink as much as you want, and remember to enjoy every moment.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Holiday Cheer

[FONT=&quot]The holiday season is here… lucky me. It’s that time of year that the agency I’m employed by takes it upon itself to mercilessly pump us up with more holiday cheer than St. Nicholas himself. In December, I’m no longer an insurance agent. My new job description includes window painting, paper snowflake cutting, tinsel hanging, Christmas tree fluffing, and meticulously searching the string of lights to find the one ****ing bulb that went out causing the whole damn chain to no longer work. To keep our spirits rolling, we listen to “Cheer 95.1 radio” at a volume just slightly below deafening and rock out to jingle bell rock, O Tannenbaum, and my personal favorite: Dolly Parton’s home for Christmas.

Well there it is! The bitter part.:D

[/FONT]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[FONT=&quot]It’s not all bad though. Soon I’ll take the scenic and snowy drive North through the Cascade Range mountains to see family and eat good food. Growing up my dad claimed dominion over the kitchen and holiday meals were a thing of legend. On Christmas day waves of food were marched outward from the kitchen like battalions of unfortunate soldiers never a match for four kids, holiday visitors, and a lucky begging black Labrador. This year I look forward to gift giving, egg nog drinking, drunken storytelling, and the warmth of seeing family and friends.

Personally I think you should skip insurance and become an author. You had me wanting to buy the book after reading that paragraph. Good luck in the BIZ. I to am starting fresh in 2012 and am very excited.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]ds.

Personally I think you should skip insurance and become an author. You had me wanting to buy the book after reading that paragraph.
[/FONT]

I agree. You should write for publication and profit. Much better written that some of the drivel posted by one poster who fancies himself a writer and likes to brag about the competitions in which he has placed in the top three. The true measure of a "professional" writer is "show me the money"

Back