800 Apps per year - No leads.

Salesmen are like fishermen. Managers trying to hire or inspire are even worse. They tell tall tales and half truths. In the mortgage business a new guy would come in and have a big month where he made 25K. Later at the bar he would multiply that by 12 and claim he was making $300,000 a year.

I have sat through a few Columbian meeting over the years. They did serve up some mighty fine Kool aide.

Salesmen are like fishermen. Managers trying to hire or inspire are even worse. They tell tall tales and half truths. In the mortgage business a new guy would come in and have a big month where he made 25K. Later at the bar he would multiply that by 12 and claim he was making $300,000 a year.

I have sat through a few Columbian meeting over the years. They did serve up some mighty fine Kool aide.
Well, if it was Kool Aide, this was the only cup served during the meeting.. The RD is a nice guy and I haven't found him to be telling "fish tales"in the past..

"The RD is a nice guy"

Oh, You never said he was a "nice guy" That changes everything! We all know nice guys don't fib.

About 8 or 9 years ago I had a couple of run-ins with Columbian agents from the Grand Rapids area. They were forging signatures on apps and replacement forms. The reason we knew what they were doing was because, in my particular case, the insured could not read or write. He had an X for his signature. Yet the replacement form and new app had very nice signatures. A regional manager from Columbian called me about the complaint and basically condoned everything they had done. The state of Michigan also called me about the complaint the family had filed. I was told the agent lost his license for 6 months.

But when you consider Columbian bought out Mutual of Detroit and all their policies you knew what to expect. MOD agents made LH agents look like white nights. I replaced large numbers of MOD policies over the years and they all had one thing in common. Missing cash value.

Over the years I have found that most "pie in the sky" numbers are just that.

About 8 or 9 years ago I had a couple of run-ins with Columbian agents from the Grand Rapids area. They were forging signatures on apps and replacement forms. The reason we knew what they were doing was because, in my particular case, the insured could not read or write. He had an X for his signature. Yet the replacement form and new app had very nice signatures. A regional manager from Columbian called me about the complaint and basically condoned everything they had done. The state of Michigan also called me about the complaint the family had filed. I was told the agent lost his license for 6 months.

But when you consider Columbian bought out Mutual of Detroit and all their policies you knew what to expect. MOD agents made LH agents look like white nights. I replaced large numbers of MOD policies over the years and they all had one thing in common. Missing cash value.

Over the years I have found that most "pie in the sky" numbers are just that.
I have never known of a company that did not have some agents and even managers that operated in that manner. Fortunately with most companies they are in the minority. One of the worst groups in this area were the Monumental/Transamerica agents.

Last edited:
Its one thing to have agents like that and not know. Its entirely different when upper management is made aware of what's going on and still refuse's to do anything about it.

Back