Adding free perks to insurance policies

I've seen perks used or I've used some myself to sell policies

• Yes

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
With State Farm and Safeco, "tow insurance" is a carrier provided option for the liability policy. With that limited experience as background, I did not realize there were some carriers that would not offer it.

(and Volagent, after your suggestions for solving my not having used my life insurance, I'm not going to tell you that I have probably not recovered 50 years of "tow insurance" premiums either, because I am afraid of the scheme you will come up with to solve that. :arghh::D)

This got a lot of people fired years ago when life policies were automatically included in automotive sales transactions and keeping part of the premium as a regular business practice is a sure fired way to get a letter from the home office

I hear what you are saying. I have never seen him sell, so I can't say if he and his staff go over the addons or not. I do know he's not keeping any premiums. But by processing the down, he can do it all as one payment, versus a payment for each item.

With State Farm and Safeco, "tow insurance" is a carrier provided option for the liability policy. With that limited experience as background, I did not realize there were some carriers that would not offer it.

(and Volagent, after your suggestions for solving my not having used my life insurance, I'm not going to tell you that I have probably not recovered 50 years of "tow insurance" premiums either, because I am afraid of the scheme you will come up with to solve that. :arghh::D)

You may have me confused with someone else?

As far as roadside assistance or towing and labor. Yes, many companies do offer it as an endorsement. However, I have seen frequent users suffer at renewal, or even be non-renewed.

When you run the loss run for some people, and usually in the non-standard category, you wonder if they are using towing as Uber.

You can if you know what you're doing. ;)

I have a good friend that runs a non-standard shop in town. Most people also sign up for roadside assistance and AD&D supplemental products from a company different from the actual auto insurance company.

While I won't comment to his practice, as I do think he is a good guy of good integrity, it is very easy to just shove papers at someone and ask them to sign it. Most will, and as long as the payment matches what they were told, they don't care. Also, he does agency billing for the down payment, so he collects the entire amount and then send the insurance down payment to the company. Of course, it does leave the agency personally on the hook for any credit card charge backs.
Sounds a bit like Senior Life tacking on the Legacy onto their policies without telling the applicant. :yes:

Sounds a bit like Senior Life tacking on the Legacy onto their policies without telling the applicant. :yes:

As I have never seen him sell it, but know him very well, I assume he does tell them.

However, as you can see with Legacy, it is very easy to shove papers at someone and tell them to sign.

KKind of like the way Radar had Col. Blake sign papers. :laugh:

True, at least Radar generally wasn't trying to deceive Henry, just keep the camp running.

Again, I doubt my friend is doing anything to deceive. He did show me part of his process one day, and it involved a checklist that he or his staff completed with everyone, where they accepted or rejected comp, collision, rental car, higher liability, etc. I don't recall if these were on the form or not. But he makes them initial each choice and keeps it with their file.

My towing insurance has paid for itself many times over the years. To me, its a cheap way to cover the what if...that for most folks becomes when. Especially for me who drives alot and lives out in the country. Had one car once that I used it many times... LOL it liked to be broken down more than running it seemed.

You may have me confused with someone else?

As far as roadside assistance or towing and labor. Yes, many companies do offer it as an endorsement. However, I have seen frequent users suffer at renewal, or even be non-renewed.

When you run the loss run for some people, and usually in the non-standard category, you wonder if they are using towing as Uber.

Any good salesman looks for opportunities to cross sell if there are a portfolio of products to offer. The line drawn is where we push product bf we venture to see if there is even a need.

Rather like sewer backup in a house policy, I think an agent would not be doing their best job if they did not mention towing coverage to an auto policy prospect. Many of those focused strictly on obtaining liability coverage probably would not take it, but I would think there would be a number of others who would appreciate both the education and the opportunity to purchase the coverage (for reasons like what pfg1 mentioned above).

Latest posts

Back