Advice Please?

toc3

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
My mother whom currently lives in Missouri was just approved for disability. In two weeks she will be moving to Arkansas to be closer to me. My question is this. Could she enroll into a Med Supp plan in Missouri while she is a current resident of Missouri even though she will be moving to Arkansas, or should she wait until she becomes a resident of Arkansas? The reason I ask is because Missouri has alot more companies that offer Med Supps to under 65's than Arkansas does and she would get a much better rate.

Two weeks isn't very long. I'd tell her to apply with Arkansas Blue Cross for a plan. Missouri rates are fairly unstable due to the annual GI law. So what seems low now will have more rate increases more often due to that law.

Gordon

Last edited:
Gordon is right unless Missouri rates are substantially less expensive. It's been a long time since I looked at Arkansas rates.

I haven't written an app on a person about to move out of state in a long time but the few times I have it has worked to their benefit. However, they were not moving to Arkansas.

I seem to vaguely remember there is something about Arkansas and the way the premiums are set that may help in determining the best way for her to go. There must be an agent here who is licensed in Arkansas who will know. If not, let me know and I will find out.

Since I don't know her age all I can do is give you an example. I wrote an app on a woman today, age 73 for $110.07 per month. She quit chewing so I wrote it "non-tobacco". Had she been 80 it would only have been 123.53.

Are the companies in Arkansas issue age or attained age? That may make a difference also.
-------------------------------------------

Sorry about missing the part where she is under 65. A disability policy for her would be $115.59 per month.

Last edited:
Arkansas is Community rated. Kinda wierd.

The rate for a plan is the same for everyone in that zip code.

My mom is in Arkansas and is on Ark. Blue Cross. Their rates are by far more stable than anyone in the market down there.

I am licensed in Arkansas as well as Kansas.

Arkansas is Community rated. Kinda wierd.

The rate for a plan is the same for everyone in that zip code.

My mom is in Arkansas and is on Ark. Blue Cross. Their rates are by far more stable than anyone in the market down there.

I am licensed in Arkansas as well as Kansas.

I knew there was something really different about Arkansas rates, just couldn't remember what it was. Thanks for sharing.

So when premiums go up they have to be the exact same dollar amount for everyone in that zip coed regardless of age? That must make selling a little different. What age group is it the most beneficial for?

Just out of curiosity, what would her rate be for a Plan D?

My mother whom currently lives in Missouri was just approved for disability. In two weeks she will be moving to Arkansas to be closer to me. My question is this. Could she enroll into a Med Supp plan in Missouri while she is a current resident of Missouri even though she will be moving to Arkansas, or should she wait until she becomes a resident of Arkansas? The reason I ask is because Missouri has alot more companies that offer Med Supps to under 65's than Arkansas does and she would get a much better rate.

Doesn't she have to wait 2 years for Medicare, unless she has certain conditions that caused disability, like kidney failure?

I was just in Arkansas and can honestly say I'm glad I live in Florida. $7 for a pack of cigarettes?:skeptical: On a positive, the highways are better up there.

Usually there is a two year waiting period after the person goes on disability before they are eligible for Medicare.

However, Social Security can back date the beginning of the disability as far back as two years. If that is done the person will receive a check for two years of disability and be eligible for Medicare immediately.

I have clients who, when they received their disability, were able to go on Medicare right away.

Usually there is a two year waiting period after the person goes on disability before they are eligible for Medicare.

However, Social Security can back date the beginning of the disability as far back as two years. If that is done the person will receive a check for two years of disability and be eligible for Medicare immediately.

I have clients who, when they received their disability, were able to go on Medicare right away.

They'll be eligible for social security if their income is below a certain amount. That's what happened to me when my kidney's failed...too much income(sales and renewals), for social security benefits. I got Medicare right away.

I have a 45 year-old sister-in-law that is living with us...she had a stroke and now has medicaid and has qualified for social security. There's a 6 month waiting period on social security benefits so there was no amount they owed going back to the date of her stroke. It took 6 months to get approved for social security. She has to wait 2 years for disability Medicare.

She did qualify for SSI and they went back to the date of her stroke.

Last edited:
Back