AETNA Going Online E-app in July

That's probably why we'll be testing it first, then.

No, they won't go with the Voice App. It is only e-mail.
We talked about that very topic today for 2 hours.. they still won't budge.

Their general counsel was on the panel at the Nat'l Med Supp conference staunchly opposed to e-apps on principle..and he was on the panel for E-Apps where the overwhelming proof was how more legit they are than scribble on a paper.

Hmm, I'd be interested to watch the full video, but not convinced it's worth spending money on.

That's a bummer on the email E-sig. I'd bet if you compared companies that require email signature versus voice signature, the voice signature beats the email signature by leaps and bounds, by increasing efficiency and increasing production from agents. I know with the exception of CLI/ACI, the rest of my business is sent to companies that have a voice signature option.

I don't use email signatures for med supps anymore. After many attempts in the past I've come to the conclusion it actually makes it more difficult for the applicant, I can email them signature pages for them to sign and return, or I can send them this complicated email signature link with multiple steps and tons of variables that can screw up the process.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I told them today.
They are missing out, big time.

Even funnier, they had a webinar today (recorded for our members) on how literally 40% of the Aetna apps are "Not In Good Order". A natural product of paper-only applications..

Has been obvious to the other carriers for so long. New Era's my favorite, too. It's going to be an awesome Mexico trip with them this time, I'm told!

I send a lot of business to Equitable that would go to CLI, because I don't want to chance doing all the CLI paperwork and then have to do a rewrite to another carrier because of decline. Who has time for that?

I'm with you on this. CLI has one of the more complicated underwriting processes. If it's underwritten, and they're not squeaky clean I usually go else where. First, it's a ton of work for me, lots of required information on the app, tons of health questions, and their phone interviews seem to be on average 30 minutes long, which is pretty crazy.

CLI was better for underwritten about a year ago, they changed their phone interview process to be much more in-depth.

All that said, using CLI for O.E or G.I, they're pretty slick and they are really generous when it comes to their O.E rules. Issue and pay comp on an O.E 6 months out with no medicare number yet, not many companies doing that anymore.

Copy of the medicare card for t65 business needs to go too. My scanner weighs about 25 pounds. Tough to lug around.

I don't use email signatures for med supps anymore. After many attempts in the past I've come to the conclusion it actually makes it more difficult for the applicant, I can email them signature pages for them to sign and return, or I can send them this complicated email signature link with multiple steps and tons of variables that can screw up the process.

I did a video about this very thing four years ago:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's exactly what I told them today.
They are missing out, big time.

Even funnier, they had a webinar today (recorded for our members) on how literally 40% of the Aetna apps are "Not In Good Order". A natural product of paper-only applications..

Has been obvious to the other carriers for so long. New Era's my favorite, too. It's going to be an awesome Mexico trip with them this time, I'm told!

I've read this in most of their monthly news brochures they mail out. It's alarming agent's don't take five minutes to proof read their app and make sure they have everything required and correct. Once the app is in underwriting, it's a pain to make corrections. Applicant initials are usually required for even very minor changes that don't effect underwriting or the outcome of the policy.

Copy of the medicare card for t65 business needs to go too. My scanner weighs about 25 pounds. Tough to lug around.

CLI/ACI does not require a copy of the medicare card to issue a policy. They just "request" that you do.

I'm with you on this. CLI has one of the more complicated underwriting processes. If it's underwritten, and they're not squeaky clean I usually go else where. First, it's a ton of work for me, lots of required information on the app, tons of health questions, and their phone interviews seem to be on average 30 minutes long, which is pretty crazy.

CLI was better for underwritten about a year ago, they changed their phone interview process to be much more in-depth.

All that said, using CLI for O.E or G.I, they're pretty slick and they are really generous when it comes to their O.E rules. Issue and pay comp on an O.E 6 months out with no medicare number yet, not many companies doing that anymore.

I find that phone interview to take about 30 minutes as well. Also very in depth and the applicants hate it. I haven't had much trouble about declines. Only a couple over the last 3 years or so that I've written mostly AmCon.

Back