Aetna just reported a disastrous Medicare qtr. Interested to see there 2025 plans

DonP

Guru
1000 Post Club
Cvs reported bad qtr and lowered ests due to Aetna for the 3rd time . They blamed medical lose ration and reduced star ratings .So we’ll see how much the star of 2024 mapd cuts their plans . Aetna and Humana have learned the hard way when you buy business it comes back to kick you in the rear. United stayed nice and level and refused to chase the Benefit game as agreesive as the others and stands strong. Devoted is buying business the last few yrs . Will hit them at some pt. But there private company and we have no idea how bad there getting hit

Last edited:
I spoke with a regional UHC manager a few days ago, about 2025 offerings, and there was a noticeable anxiousness in her voice. Not the typical confidence from previous years. I think all the carriers are a little anxious about who will be making the most cuts and how they stack up. Which, is to be expected.

Cvs reported bad qtr and lowered ests due to Aetna for the 3rd time . They blamed medical lose ration and reduced star ratings .So we’ll see how much the star of 2024 mapd cuts their plans . Aetna and Humana have learned the hard way when you buy business it comes back to kick you in the rear. United stayed nice and level and refused to chase the Benefit game as agreesive as the others and stands strong. Devoted is buying business the last few yrs . Will hit them at some pt. But there private company and we have no idea how bad there getting hit
It's my understanding that Devoted is more customer focused then benefits focused. I've never worked with them before but I've heard good things. Anyone else?

I listened to EHTH conf call. They and others are requesting CMS extend MC AEP another 5 days due to a "perfect storm" of a calendar, and all the major changes in MAPD and PDP this year. Due to the election distraction from Oct 15th - to Nov 5th, Thanksgiving falling late on Nov 28th, the last day of AEP Dec 7th falling on a Saturday, and all the MC changes.......no response yet from CMS.

They are focusing on retention, and expect a lot of MAPD movement = opportunity.

Humana is modifying its Medicare Advantage products for 2025 amid industrywide struggles with higher costs under the program, the company announced along with its second-quarter results Wednesday.

Medicare Advantage membership grew in the second quarter while total membership declined. Profits dropped, as well, despite improved revenue, Humana reported.

“We are not realizing the full promise of the company,” President and CEO Jim Rechtin said during a call with investor analysts.

Humana is reassessing its Medicare Advantage offerings and the geographic locations where it participates to avoid unprofitable plans and markets, said Rechtin, who succeeded Bruce Broussard this month. The insurer also will raise premiums and trim benefits, he said.

Rechtin declined to estimate how many Medicare Advantage members will be affected, but said the company aims to recapture them in other Humana Medicare policies.

In May, Chief Financial Officer Susan Diamond said Humana expected to lose about 5% of its Medicare Advantage members next year, which would amount to a few hundred thousand people.

An unexpected spike in inpatient utilization during the latter half of the quarter, which continued into July, dinged Humana's finances. Executives cited the effects of the two-midnight rule, which requires insurers to cover inpatient stays when providers expect patients to remain in the hospital for at least two midnights. The company expects this trend to persist through 2024.

Accordingly, Humana's medical loss ratio, which measures the share of premiums spent on claims, rose from 86.3% to 89%.

The Medicare Advantage market has grown more challenging since patients began seeking postponed care after the worst phases of the COVID-19 pandemic, and as the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services took a tougher stance on financing and oversight. UnitedHealth Group, CVS Health subsidiary Aetna and Centene have likewise acknowledged pressures in their Medicare businesses this year.

CMS is expected to release Medicare Advantage bids for 2025 soon, which will provide a clearer picture of how the insurance sector is responding to these pressures.

Humana net income fell 29.2% to $679 million in the second quarter on a 10.4% increase in revenue to $29.5 billion. Membership declined 4.8% despite Medicare Advantage enrollment growing 6.6% to 6.2 million as Part D sign-ups fell and the company continued its exit from the employer-sponsored health insurance market.

Humana shares opened on the New York State Exchange on Wednesday at $365.13, down 10.8% from the previous day's closing price.

better cash out your medicare business, otherwise it'll go the way of your daytrading...

Attachments

• down-liz-lemon.gif
    down-liz-lemon.gif
    164 KB · Views: 1
better cash out your medicare business, otherwise it'll go the way of your daytrading...
Actually the last 5 days I’m up 6 figs day trading . Monday was a monster day for me buying NVDA and the Nasdaq 100 futures on the panic open .Just dumped the rest of my positions today . Waiting for more panic to buy for trades . Vix hit 65 Monday panic rarely seen

Actually the last 5 days I’m up 6 figs day trading . Monday was a monster day for me buying NVDA and the Nasdaq 100 futures on the panic open .Just dumped the rest of my positions today . Waiting for more panic to buy for trades . Vix hit 65 Monday panic rarely seen
Just got off the phone with a guy looking for stock tips. Since I don't trade I gave him your number.

Said his name was Warren Buffett.

Back