Aetna MAPD and AOR

I don't believe this is a new Aetna policy. Pretty sure they did this 20 years ago with their U65 major med business (before Obamacare).

I attended a regional "roll out" meeting for their "new" product line (mid to late 90's). Several brokers in attendance, including me, asked when we would be paid on our AOR business.

The RVP and his underlings could not answer the question. When someone said they had been told the original writing agent would retain the commission but the "new" agent would be tagged as the current AOR, the Aetna dudes claimed they had never been told that.

About a month later a memo came out confirming the AOR change would not result in commissions being paid to the new agent.

Not surprising, there was a major drop off in AOR's after the word got out.

Lazy agents who did not service their clients keep getting paid for doing nothing.

Last edited:
I don't believe this is a new Aetna policy. Pretty sure they did this 20 years ago with their U65 major med business (before Obamacare).

I attended a regional "roll out" meeting for their "new" product line (mid to late 90's). Several brokers in attendance, including me, asked when we would be paid on our AOR business.

The RVP and his underlings could not answer the question. When someone said they had been told the original writing agent would retain the commission but the "new" agent would be tagged as the current AOR, the Aetna dudes claimed they had never been told that.

About a month later a memo came out confirming the AOR change would not result in commissions being paid to the new agent.

Not surprising, there was a major drop off in AOR's after the word got out.

Lazy agents who did not service their clients keep getting paid for doing nothing.
It’s 💯 true and it’s on all MA MAPD business.

Back