Agent’s Guide to Designing an Insurance Website

Cost to set up productive site?

The cost to set up a productive site is minor in comparison to the cost to promote it.

You can pay well under $100 total per year for your domain registration, domain hosting and your SSL certificate.

It can cost hundreds or thousands for a designer and programmer to set up your site. It all depends on how much pretty and functionality you want.

If you just want an electronic business card, you can do it yourself with a free WP theme. You can use a paid theme an pay under $100.

You can probably find someone who will create brochureware for under $200.

I suggest you should at least have someone set up your email through your domain. You don't want to be [email protected] if you have your own domain.

I paid a designer $13500 to do my site in 2010. Best investment I ever made.

Now Jack tell them the rest of the story..

I assume that $13,500 was for a custom website, did that include the content for the website or additional? Was premium hosting included? Were any search engine optimization services included?

You and I both have experience with SEO, so with that in mind - you must concur that the value you place on that $13,500 investment is "Emotional" not based on unbiased fact.

Your website isn't even "Responsive/Mobile Friendly". Again in this medium I feel compelled to qualify statements (lol), I am not attacking your website - we all feel like our sites are our babies!

Anyway, the point I wanted to make was that most folks whom see a post like yours, may not spend $13k - maybe they spend $5k when $1k would of been sufficient and the remaining $4k could of gone to lead gen and some cash flow would of been realized sooner.

Now Jack tell them the rest of the story..

I assume that $13,500 was for a custom website, did that include the content for the website or additional? Was premium hosting included? Were any search engine optimization services included?

You and I both have experience with SEO, so with that in mind - you must concur that the value you place on that $13,500 investment is "Emotional" not based on unbiased fact.

Your website isn't even "Responsive/Mobile Friendly". Again in this medium I feel compelled to qualify statements (lol), I am not attacking your website - we all feel like our sites are our babies!

Anyway, the point I wanted to make was that most folks whom see a post like yours, may not spend $13k - maybe they spend $5k when $1k would of been sufficient and the remaining $4k could of gone to lead gen and some cash flow would of been realized sooner.

The cost was just for the site design and the backend Refinery Content Management System.

No hosting, no SEO, nothing else.

I wrote every word of content.
I know zilch about SEO too.

So, not sure what rest of the story is..

Bottom line is the website designer executed my vision.

Now I do realize that the site is 8 years old now and it is not mobile friendly however my website designers are only doing application development now so they will not assist me;

And I

1) do not know who to ask for help and

2) I am hesitant to make any changes to my website because I have a fear that changes will hurt my site.

I do not want to go backwards!

But feel free to call me at 800-891-5824 if you have good advice for me!

Last edited:
Jack, as I recall your site was custom built from scrach using Ruby on Rails. 8 years ago that may or may not have been the best platform. And it may be better to scrap and start over vs finding someone who knows ROR and can "fix" your site.

Most of the sites today are Wordpress, even some big companies use WP.
40+ Most Notable Big Name Brands that are Using WordPress

Just a thought

Jack, as I recall your site was custom built from scrach using Ruby on Rails. 8 years ago that may or may not have been the best platform. And it may be better to scrap and start over vs finding someone who knows ROR and can "fix" your site.

Most of the sites today are Wordpress, even some big companies use WP.
40+ Most Notable Big Name Brands that are Using WordPress

Just a thought

If I were Jack, I'd be terrified to do this.

A lot of the SEO experts and website design guys are a crap shoot. Unless you know someone who is really legit (and then it could certainly help increase rankings), he should just keep pumping out awesome content and writing apps IMHO.

Back