All-State Agency or Nationwide Agency?

Re: I hear ya...i work for Nationwide currently actually

Jblack07 said:
they are competitive on some stuff, but not exactly low-cost provider on auto when it comes to younger drivers..almost like they dont want the business.. also depends on the company your competing against.
not a fan of the nationwide agent softwares in my office.

thanks for all your viewpoints. any others are welcome

Software sucks, they need to update it...I hate Lotus. It's true about the younger drivers but you gotta know your target market. I've been replacing Allstate, Farmers, & State Farm regularly, we destroy their rates. Nationwide is just trying to establish agencies here in California, maybe that's why?

insuremojo...

yes, they have internal goals to expand I guess. I lived in socal for about 4 years and I thought Nationwide was all direct on the west Coast. Didn't know they were going to the agency model.
how aggresive are they being as far as recruiting new agents for nationwide out there? by the way, per your contracts, do you "own the book of business" or are their strings attached?

which would you start? any experiences here? commissions and support?

new poster here..interested in scratch or buying a book/agency.

Do not buy a Nationwide Agency. It is no longer a good deal. Nationwide seems to be doing everything thing they can to take income away form agencies. They misrepresented a rather large number of items in a recent purchase of my agency. They have also made a large number of changes that take income away from the agency, but refuse to make any adjustments in the purchase price. They also seem to have plans to make more changes that will negatively effect agencies.:1mad:

I was not aware nationwide allowed the agent to sell the book of business who can i call in Pa to see if agencies are available ? the regional office in Harrisburg?

I remember approx a year ago a Nationwide rep blew into my office looking to buy my BOB...took about 10 minutes to send him packing. He left a bunch of information and it hit the garbage can as soon as he close the door on his way out.

I have been to numerous functions over the years with Nationwide agents/reps...that is one company I will never have an affiliation with. Their agents/reps are very nice...but I know just from talking and dealing with them I wouldn't work for or represent them.

I was told by several seasoned agents to run like the dickens from Nationwide. Said the hoops you have to jump through are impossible

Nationwide seems to have turned against their own agents lately. They are making it very hard to make any money unless you are a large agency. (3 million or more.) I can't imagine anyone being able to build an agency from scratch with them until they change their ways. Its sad as they have a great product, seem to pay their claims very quickly, and have a good name in the industry. They also have some pluses in agency ownership, but none of them matter if you can't make a living. They have also created some very tough goals, while seemingly doing everything they can to prevent agents from reaching them.

Last edited:
Do not buy a Nationwide Agency. It is no longer a good deal. Nationwide seems to be doing everything thing they can to take income away form agencies. They misrepresented a rather large number of items in a recent purchase of my agency. They have also made a large number of changes that take income away from the agency, but refuse to make any adjustments in the purchase price. They also seem to have plans to make more changes that will negatively effect agencies.:1mad:

Is this still true. I am looking into taking their training program. They promise a 15% & 10% commission on new and renewals. repsectively.

Back