Any Good Books on Cold Calling, Etc?

"None of this Debbie the Time Life operator bullsh*t. So get on the phones, it's time to get to work. Get off your ass! Move around. Motion creates emotion."

"And there is no such thing as a no-sell call. A sell is made on every call you make. Either you sell the client some stock, or he sells you on a reason he can't. Either way, a sell is made. The only question is: who's gonna close? You or him?! Now be relentless. That's it, I'm done."

:D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure what book you're referring to but his Real Secrets of the Top 20% is completely dated. Below is an excerpt of a review I did of that book:

"Perhaps I'm a bit advanced but the top 20% that I know personally, myself being one, all feel that it pays to "obsess" about closing ratios and building a qualified pipeline of clients, which Mr. Brooks opposes (on page 31). Usually if my closing ratio is off, I'm off and I need to adjust to get back on.

He advises to NOT leave more than two messages (page 55) but this goes against the marketing rule of 7, if you're not familiar with that rule, you should Google it, it's quite interesting.

I even found some of the responses to be borderline offensive. Does he actually say (page 77)
"it doesn't matter to me if you take this now, because I've got 10 other client's waiting for my call?" That would not endear me to him and I certainly would not be receptive to working with him in the future if he doesn't not value me, the client.

There are also a few insights that are solely in the interest of what we'll call a selfish salesperson. For instance, when someone asks to be sent information and your response is
"if you like what you see would you be ready to place an order?" is NOT beneficial, you cannot ask someone to commit that way, similar to the car sales person asking "if I find what you're looking for will you take it today?" They can say yes or no and it usually means nothing either way.

This type of response is strictly the sales person trying to see if there's potential so they can decide whether or not to invest time in that client, but you're short changing the client and yourself, do the work, qualify, don't disqualify, you never want to come off as if the client is just commission. If you instead ask
"what information would you like?" and wait for the response, you position yourself to move further along towards gaining a customer, not simply fishing for a sale.

Overall, this book seems very antiquated, while there is good insight, the bad old school techniques that simply don't work today can kill your sales, and it also lacks insight into the psyche of today's savvy buyers."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I agree. These types of sales tactics are exactly whats WRONG with the industry right now. You called it perfectly . . . a very "dated" perception.

I always pace, my girlfriend thinks I'm crazy, but the energy comes across for sure.

What headset do you have and office setup? I am looking at buying a bluetooth headset for my voip line and for connecting directly to the computer. Wireless and clarity are a must! Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Back