Anybody get the email from Key Financial?

Maybe not. But it would likely mean that the adviser would actually know better than to use these types of tactics and numbers. However, crooks will be crooks no matter how much knowledge they have.

Maybe, maybe not? Well, let us change our entire way of life to satisfy the "Maybe". Starting to sound like the global warming nuts. Y'all are just too funny.

Maybe, maybe not? Well, let us change our entire way of life to satisfy the "Maybe". Starting to sound like the global warming nuts. Y'all are just too funny.

So you think it's ok for uninformed and uneducated agents/reps to advise someone on where they should invest their life savings?

So you think it's ok for uninformed and uneducated agents/reps to advise someone on where they should invest their life savings?

I don't see how governmental intrusion will help, as always "Buyer Beware". When people actually believe that Securities is quote, "Secure" you know you have a problem. In fact, show me where governmental intrusion has help and, maybe I'll change my mind. Till then, I take such talk as people fooling themselves or trying to make me laugh.

Plus, I beleive the government should stick with things they know, like worrying about the "Rocket".

I don't see how governmental intrusion will help, as always "Buyer Beware". When people actually believe that Securities is quote, "Secure" you know you have a problem. In fact, show me where governmental intrusion has help and, maybe I'll change my mind. Till then, I take such talk as people fooling themselves or trying to make me laugh.

Plus, I beleive the government should stick with things they know, like worrying about the "Rocket".

James,

You've got me ALL wrong. The last thing I want is government intrusion. But I do want to make sure that someone advising people on their life savings actually knows what they're talking about. The industry has guidelines. You can't sell insurance without a license. So let's use the same rule about investments. Most that sell index annuities and don't have a securities license use the fact that it's actually a fixed annuity and not an investment as reason they shouldn't have to get a securities license. However, they are advising people to liquidate securities in order to accomplish the investment in the index annuity. Thereby advising on something they are not licensed to do. It's definitely a grey area. And it's also one of those situations where the good folks get punished for what the bad folks do.

As for people believing "securities" are "secure", I don't think I've ever come across that person. With that said, over the long haul, you can't argue with the results.

James,

You've got me ALL wrong. The last thing I want is government intrusion. But I do want to make sure that someone advising people on their life savings actually knows what they're talking about. The industry has guidelines. You can't sell insurance without a license. So let's use the same rule about investments. Most that sell index annuities and don't have a securities license use the fact that it's actually a fixed annuity and not an investment as reason they shouldn't have to get a securities license. However, they are advising people to liquidate securities in order to accomplish the investment in the index annuity. Thereby advising on something they are not licensed to do. It's definitely a grey area. And it's also one of those situations where the good folks get punished for what the bad folks do.

As for people believing "securities" are "secure", I don't think I've ever come across that person. With that said, over the long haul, you can't argue with the results.

As you suggest, the guidelines are grey at best. What I hear is this, once people place money in any "Securities" they at that point will not be able to touch that money unless, approved by someone that is so qualified? I'm sorry but, that is not something I could ever support.

I don't care if we are talking "Qualified", "Non Qualified", Home Equity or a CD down at the bank. It isn't your money, you have no business in other peoples business, you have no more right trying to control that money as Frank has a right to tell people who can or can not eat. Nor does anyone else have a right to tell a person that holds a business whom he can serve or how to serve it, as in smokers, drinkers or loud obnoxious people.

The path to Hell is paved with good intentions. Or may I say, the way to end our great society is paved with great intentions.

Ps, I see no other solution to what you suggest outside of governmental intrusions?

Last edited:
Drinking is legal but it's illegal to drink in public. I'm curious James - should I be allowed to walk down the sidewalk with a beer? And I'm not being smug - I'm looking for an honest answer.

Also, since drinking is legal, can I walk into any a hotel lobby and crack open a six pack? After all, I have the right to drink.

As you suggest, the guidelines are grey at best. What I hear is this, once people place money in any "Securities" they at that point will not be able to touch that money unless, approved by someone that is so qualified? I'm sorry but, that is not something I could ever support.

Actually, no... the individual has the right to make any decision regarding their securities at any time they wish. However, If you choose to ADVISE them on what to do with their securities, that goes outside the scope of an insurance agent's expertise and certainly changes the capacity in which you are acting.

Now if John Q calls you up and says "I have a $500,000 401(k) and I want to put X amount in an annuity, can you help me?".... that is a different story.

Drinking is legal but it's illegal to drink in public. I'm curious James - should I be allowed to walk down the sidewalk with a beer? And I'm not being smug - I'm looking for an honest answer.

Also, since drinking is legal, can I walk into any a hotel lobby and crack open a six pack? After all, I have the right to drink.

I'm not much a drinker but, I don't believe it against the law in TN to drink a beer in public? In fact in a lot of places you can drink and drive, you can not be drunk and drive but, not all states have the "Open Container" laws. In other words not all places are known to be liberal mecca's as your home state.

If the owner of the hotel doesn't care I would imagine that cracking a beer would go unnoticed. In fact, when staying at a hotel or resort, the only thing I can remember is that you can not have glass at the pool side? In fact, most hotels have bars within them and I can get a drink and walk to my room or hang out drinking that drink with others.

Now if I went to a Hotel that catered to say, non drinkers and decided my right to have a beer or drink and I'm breaking their rules then do I have a right to go to the government and demand my right? Of course not, if I didn't like it I would go elsewhere, unlike people such as yourself.

I can see your point. Your point is I'm walking into a strip joint to get food, then bitching that I don't want to see the strippers and now want a law outlawing strip joints. Solution? If I don't want to see strippers don't go to strip joints.

There's a lot of merit to that argument but all places to eat don't have strippers whereas all places I go to eat allow smoking. That means I cannot choose to "go someplace else" since there are smokers in every restaurant.

That all being said, if someone wants to open "the smokehouse" and have to be a place to eat and drink specifically for smokers I don't think a law should disallow that.

Actually, no... the individual has the right to make any decision regarding their securities at any time they wish. However, If you choose to ADVISE them on what to do with their securities, that goes outside the scope of an insurance agent's expertise and certainly changes the capacity in which you are acting.

Now if John Q calls you up and says "I have a $500,000 401(k) and I want to put X amount in an annuity, can you help me?".... that is a different story.

Not from what many have stated, they would say no if someone called you and ask you don't have that right. Outside of that, if someone has a right to their money they also have a right to take counsel from whomever they decide if not, you have effectively removed control of that person and his/her money. May that be a Realtor, IA or a Preacher or whomever, it simply should not matter, if it does you are simply going around to the back door to lock up the front door. I'm not a fool, I know if such laws come to be then the slippery slope is grease and that fat lady is singing.

Back