Anybody Using a Standing Desk?

You could cut a hole in the floor and stand in it.

I would but the basement is below me so I'd fall all the way to the floor below.

I could probably just put a ladder under the hole, but then I wouldn't really be able to move around too much.

I have had a standing desk for about a year now. I alternate standing and sitting. I've worked my way up to standing most of the day now, but I sit when I get tired or mentally stressed.

I love it. I used to have some back pain from sitting too much. The standing desk stressed my back muscles in a different way than sitting did. Fortunately this was temporary. After a week or so my back got stronger all my back issues went away.

This is what I have:

Cool Living Stand Up Desk, Steel Black | Staples®

An important issue that is sometimes overlooked is the height of the monitor. IMO, if you don't raise your monitor, you can wind up trading one problem for another and wind up being kyphotic (back shaped like a "C") from looking down at your screen.

You will need an external monitor and something to raise it to eye level. I have a wall mount unit from ergotron.com and connect my monitor to my laptop with an HDMI cable.

Unfortunately the combination of an external monitor and the mount may cost as much or more than the standing desk.

BTW I stand on an indoboard (balance board) while I work (my office is too small to fit a treadmill under my desk) and have started wearing a weight vest for a few hours each day (no kidding).:goofy:

Indo Board Original Balance Trainer, Original Bamboo Beach

I have had a standing desk for about a year now. I alternate standing and sitting. I've worked my way up to standing most of the day now, but I sit when I get tired or mentally stressed.

I love it. I used to have some back pain from sitting too much. The standing desk stressed my back muscles in a different way than sitting did. Fortunately this was temporary. After a week or so my back got stronger all my back issues went away.

This is what I have:

Cool Living Stand Up Desk, Steel Black | Staples®

An important issue that is sometimes overlooked is the height of the monitor. IMO, if you don't raise your monitor, you can wind up trading one problem for another and wind up being kyphotic (back shaped like a "C") from looking down at your screen.

You will need an external monitor and something to raise it to eye level. I have a wall mount unit from ergotron.com and connect my monitor to my laptop with an HDMI cable.

Unfortunately the combination of an external monitor and the mount may cost as much or more than the standing desk.

BTW I stand on an indoboard (balance board) while I work (my office is too small to fit a treadmill under my desk) and have started wearing a weight vest for a few hours each day (no kidding).:goofy:

Indo Board Original Balance Trainer, Original Bamboo Beach

Part of my reasoning for wanting a standing desk is for the back issues. Although my issues are more with my mid and upper back/neck than low back. I've raised my monitor to eye level so I'm looking straight ahead and not looking down. So I will definitely do that if and when I choose a standing desk model. Since I've only found two options that will work with my current desk, I'll likely go with one of those instead of buying a new desk. Was hoping someone had other options which allow using your current desk that I haven't seen.

You seriously balance on the board while working? That's pretty cool. How long did it take you to used to doing that? I imagine in the beginning you are using a set of muscles that don't get used often.

Part of my reasoning for wanting a standing desk is for the back issues. Although my issues are more with my mid and upper back/neck than low back. I've raised my monitor to eye level so I'm looking straight ahead and not looking down. So I will definitely do that if and when I choose a standing desk model. Since I've only found two options that will work with my current desk, I'll likely go with one of those instead of buying a new desk. Was hoping someone had other options which allow using your current desk that I haven't seen. You seriously balance on the board while working? That's pretty cool. How long did it take you to used to doing that? I imagine in the beginning you are using a set of muscles that don't get used often.

Have you ever done any exercises to strengthen your core? Doing some two times a week could seriously help. You should be able to find a workout you like on YouTube.

----------

Looks like I am in the wrong business. I'm going to start selling standing desks. Those things are outrageous in price...

I'm taking a smoke break, just so you know. Lol.

Back