Anybody Using a Standing Desk?

Look around at used office supply stores for a "draftsman desk". Back before computers, engineers and architects used a desk that was big enough to lay blue prints out on and stand up to work on them. The ones that businesses bought usually had motors with foot controls.

I picked up a used motorized draftsman desk for $150.

----------

Or for $25 you can get the Oristand if you use a laptop or are able to mount the monitor on the wall.

I still like the hole in the floor idea with the ladder. Then when you're not at your desk, you can put a rug over the hole and move the ladder.

Somebody tries to snoop on your computer...poof, gone.

Look around at used office supply stores for a "draftsman desk". Back before computers, engineers and architects used a desk that was big enough to lay blue prints out on and stand up to work on them. The ones that businesses bought usually had motors with foot controls.

I picked up a used motorized draftsman desk for $150.

----------

Or for $25 you can get the Oristand if you use a laptop or are able to mount the monitor on the wall.

Both good ideas. I like the idea of a tilting table. The other is a cheap way to try the idea before you buy.

I believe Nic West (picnic) built his own. He posted some pics on a different forum. Looks pretty cool. Thought about doing that as a credenza behind or next to my desk so that I can switch back and forth.

Or get a high height chair to go with it. I use my drafting chair for an hour a day or so.

$_35.JPG

Be a midget.

Part of my reasoning for wanting a standing desk is for the back issues. Although my issues are more with my mid and upper back/neck than low back. I've raised my monitor to eye level so I'm looking straight ahead and not looking down. So I will definitely do that if and when I choose a standing desk model. Since I've only found two options that will work with my current desk, I'll likely go with one of those instead of buying a new desk. Was hoping someone had other options which allow using your current desk that I haven't seen.

You seriously balance on the board while working? That's pretty cool. How long did it take you to used to doing that? I imagine in the beginning you are using a set of muscles that don't get used often.

I couldn't find anything to work with my desk directly. I have a wall mount for my monitor.

It didn't take much time to learn how to balance on the board while working. Maybe a couple of days. I don't have any problem touching the desk when I get a little off balance, so the learning curve wasn't too bad.

My feet and my back were sore until I got used to standing. My legs got a little sore, but not much.

I actually think that it is easier to balance on the board or walk slowly on a treadmill, than to stand flatfooted for an extended period of time.

For those on the fence:

Most desks marketed as "Standing desks" move up and down pretty easily with a crank or a motor.

I was able to use my original desk top. When I crank it down, it is at the same height as my old desk and looks virtually the same. If you look closely there is a spot where the removable crank handle goes. Some days I sit all day. Other days I stand all day. I'm about a year into this new habit and most days I stand about 80% of the time.

Back