Anyone ever used Vonage, Sunrocket, or another VOIP service?

I've used Vonage before...TERRIBLE!! If it cuts out or what not 20% of the time then screw them! I run a business and pay good money for phone service, it should work 100% of the time!! You will lose clients if you're cutting in and out with your vm working only half of the time.

Vonage customer service is terrible and if you ever want to switch providers good luck porting your 800 over to a new carrier. Won't happen! I've tried!

Bottom line is I hate Vonage with a passion! I have a friend who has them, drop calls with him all the time as well.

I currently use Comcast and their VOIP! It is better than Vonage because of the way it's set up! Your voice goes directly through the seperate modem instead of the internet in packets! Better quality!!

I agree with P.diddy's protege K-Dub. I have used vonage before and their service is terrible. I recommend to go through Verizon because I have never had any type of service issues with them, w/ the exception of lost signals in towns that are so far off the trap the think Lincoln is still president. Their packages are also attractive if you are in the covered area. A close second would be Comcast.

I have had Vonage since this summer and I have had some calls "dropped" here and there, but far fewer then my cell phone, so I cannot say anything bad about them.

I have friends who use the Skyrocket in Ohio and they are happy with it.

However, after hearing about John's use of the 3 for $33 deal, I might give that a try.

I have had Vonage for several years and have not had a problem other than occasional power outages or cable outages, which certainly are not Vonage's fault. I have my account set to automatically forward to my cell phone during power or cable outages.

sman said:
My current 800# piggy backs one of my lines. It is thorugh my long distance carrier. I think I'll look into what John said. It would be nice if I could transfer my existing 800# to one of those services he mentioned. We'll see.

Just make sure if they transfer it you can get it back if you leave them.

I think from everything I've read here and other folks I've asked so much of it depends on your internet connection. It makes me wonder if I can use my internet while talking on the phone. I have a "Do Not Call" system online that I'll need to access if I'm making residential calls to anyone I don't personally know.

I'm inclined to try Sunrocket because the deal is unbeatable. I suppose if that failed I could try Comcast and see if it makes a difference.

sman said:
Kyle,

Are you saying you DO have an 800# with Vonage? I would make the switch from my land line if I could transfer my existing 800#, but they tell me I can't. Please give details.

Yes, I do have an 800# with Vonage. But I do not own the 800#, which really stinks because I can not switch companies unless I get a diff 800#. It does make a huge difference that comcast goes directly to a separate modem because with Vonage it rides my internet and reduces bandwidth to 41Kps--I'm told I should be above 90Kps for good audio quality. Comcast said if I increase my speed with them to 8MEG that will fix my vonage problem. That would cost an extra $10

I just recently switch to Verizon voicewing for $ 24.99 per month. The phone quality and features are better than other carriers I have used in the past. Stay away from vonage if you plan to do a lot of calling becuase the phone quality is not the best.

Last edited:
Back