Anyone Have an Effective DI Cold-calling Script?

benseattle

Expert
I want to target small business owners and lead with Disabilty.

Is there a script anyone has used that will earn me an appointment? (No, I don't want to sell over the phone; I want to create a relationship that leads to other product sales.)

Thanks in advance for advice and suggestions.

"Do you have "pay check insurance""??

Thats a line that has worked great for me. It gets the client thinking about what DI truly does. Its also a great conversation starter.

After explaining exactly what "paycheck insurance" is; if they have DI already and give you that as an objection, ask them if it covers their specific occupation, or if its just any occupation. Ask if it covers partial disability, or if it adjusts for inflation..

If you can ask those three questions after the initial objection, you will have a very high chance of setting an appointment.

"Do you have "pay check insurance""??quote]

Don't get me wrong because I love that line, but I just cannot bring myself to ask a Dr.or other professional that question?

I'm sure you have another set of books, right?

Did you opt out of work comp? What do you have in place to pay the bills if you get hurt or sick and laid up for 12 months?

If I could show you how to get better coverage for much less than the cost of work comp, would you object to me stopping by to give you a 10 minute overview on the program?

"Do you have "pay check insurance""??quote]

Don't get me wrong because I love that line, but I just cannot bring myself to ask a Dr.or other professional that question?

I'm sure you have another set of books, right?

No, not the greatest line for business owners... i kind of missed that part...

Its great for individual prospecting as well as group presentations to employees in a business.

The problem with leading with a "catch phrase" with a business owner is that they most likely already have coverage. So your not telling them anything that they dont already know.

Asking about BOE might be a more prudent way to go. Explain the benefits of it, and the differences between it, and DI.

Back to DI... If the owner has been in business for a while, ask him:
"Is your income level higher now than when you took out your current DI policy?"
If they say yes, then you explain their need to increase coverage through a new plan that provides more complete coverage...

Or go the key employee route and ask "what would happen if a key employee who was vital to business operations became disabled suddenly?"

Key man insurance can be a great door opener, especially key man DI

Additionally even if the business owner owns DI they could have bought that policy early in their business, when they had lower issue and participation limits purely due to lack of earnings background. Even if they're not really making that much more than when they started, they may be eligible for more benefit.

When you say cold calling, do you mean you already have the owners/decision maker's name, or a pure cold call to the office/practice?

If it is a pure cold call to a business:

My name is Bob Levine, with Legacy Financial Partners. Who would I need to stay in touch with regarding keeping the lights on, and the business going, should something happen to the owners of the business?

that would be, Mr. Jones. Would you like his voice mail?

Oh, good heavens no. I'll ring back later. What is his direct line? (after you get it) As a matter of fact, I could just email him something. What's his email?

Thanks. Take care.

If you have the prospects name:

(Who you are)
Mr. Johnson, this is Bob Levine. I am with Legacy Financial Partners.
(Why are you calling them)
The reason for my call was to find out if your company had a plan for keeping the business running if you were "out of the picture" for a while.

Yeah. We're not interested.
(Create doubt/urgency)
Has your agent met with you since this past March to review your plan with you?
Why, what happened in March?

Well, quite a bit. Can you give me 10 minutes at your office, or over a cup of coffee? Got your address book handy?

Now, overcoming objections is another post, but here's what I do for a cold call. As usual, tailor it to your own personality. Does not work 100% of the time.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. And for the record, I NEVER "cold call" without already having the prospect's name.

"Hi this is Ben. Can I talk to Bob for a second?"

"Sure. Hang on."

____________________-

Back