Are there any policies that cover risky business in international waters?

Mightn't there be some exclusions depending on the specific nature of the "Risky Business" conducted in the International Waters?

Only in the first 2 years, and only for risks the application asks about.

Scuba Diving is often on there... never seen anything about a submarine.

But after the 2 year contestability period, the only exclusion is an act of war or engaging in illegal activities ... and some will still pay for war depending on the circumstances. I know NYL paid 9/11 victims as well as soldiers who died overseas in the war.

The "Act of War" clause is in the event of a huge bombing or other attack where the death toll is in the hundreds of thousands... and paying on all those claims could sink the entire industry. It's not about a single individual, but about an abboration far from the norms of actuarial expectations.

Not to minimize 9/11, but that death toll wasn't anywhere near such a catastrophe where paying claims could disrupt the industry.

There is a difference in using the term "risky" and applying it to a life policy. I was always told that participating in adventurous activities such as SCUBA or skydiving, or bungi for example would not stop a life benefit from being paid so long as it was not your occupation. The OceanGate CEO might have a difficult time collecting on a policy unless it was fully underwritten against the nature of the business but all others should have no problem with a claim.

Only in the first 2 years, and only for risks the application asks about.

Scuba Diving is often on there... never seen anything about a submarine.

But after the 2 year contestability period, the only exclusion is an act of war or engaging in illegal activities ... and some will still pay for war depending on the circumstances. I know NYL paid 9/11 victims as well as soldiers who died overseas in the war.

When I saw the thread headline, the first thing that came to mind was drug running. Not too long after that I thought of arms smuggling and running illegal aliens.

Back