as a broker, what are some practices you wish you implemented day 1

In no particular order...

1. Never give my cell # to clients It took me years to ween them off and have them call the office.
2. Slow to hire, quick to fire.
3. Go home, and spend more time with your family.

good list! I find #1 interesting because I read/hear so many agents say, "all my clients have my cell phone # and they know they can call anytime..."

I am sure managing communication flows is something that people handle in all sorts of different ways.

#1 also means my client dictates the value of my time. It's very different for different professions but let me ask you... when you get to the 100 client level or say the 3000 client level are you REALLY providing them a great service?

Train a confident and competent staff to handle the pain points and let them filter out the "must speak to Trout" calls which I always take. I'm just as accessible, and their problems are ALWAYS handled better by staff. Why do you think the Doctor doesnt do height and weight? Or draw blood?

Most VOIP systems support texting, and many have an app you can download onto your phone.

Give out that number and let them know they can text you there. Same difference to the client, but easy for you to transition to a staff member later and easier to ignore after hours. Some management systems even support texting right inside it, EZLynx is one.

Most VOIP systems support texting, and many have an app you can download onto your phone.

Give out that number and let them know they can text you there. Same difference to the client, but easy for you to transition to a staff member later and easier to ignore after hours. Some management systems even support texting right inside it, EZLynx is one.

Love this idea for a number of reasons -thanks.

VOIP should also make it easier to seperate personal phone contact from business communications.

What else do we have folks? We all made mistakes in the beginning right?

In no particular order...

1. Never give my cell # to clients It took me years to ween them off and have them call the office.
2. Slow to hire, quick to fire.
3. Go home, and spend more time with your family.

This is a good list, but I would add "Do a better job of qualifying". The catch is I hadn't learned how to do a really good job of prospecting commercial p&c until I had a few years in, and furthermore, I needed the money when I was starting out, so I probably would have written them anyhow.

Back