As a "side hustle"?

I agree 100% from running at home and my team comment probably should have been explained better. If you put everything into it, run every week, study your scripts, companies, and products you will make a very good living. You put everything into it and eventually you can either form a team or be a career agent. My best friend is a former AIL SA and he loves the freedom of buying his leads and writing business. I decided to build a team. You write your own ticket.

Leads-I run 25 mailers a week. I made so many mistakes but Less Expensive FB leads 25-40 to start out is not unrealistic. I believe that when you start out and your referral game is not as strong as it will become that 40 Facebook leads is not that far fetched. I would advise to not reinvent the wheel and stick to Mailers but everyone has their own opinions.

So, a few things:

1) Don’t talk about building a team when dude isn’t even licensed. That’s like year 5-10, if ever, talk.

2) 25-40 leads is way too many for this guy. If he’s going FE, he should be working 15-20 TOPS. That’s 2400 in AP on average, per week, with a 20 closing ratio.

3) Personal opinion, but he shouldn’t do FE if he wants to work from the house. That product lends heavily to F2F. Also, that’s something he’s going to have to work to save when it lapses.

I respect people that sell FE. That’s a hard sales road.
I sell fe from home lol literally no issues with lapses except for one where kids bought a 5k AP policy for there dad and couldn't afford it 4 months in.

So, a few things:

1) Don’t talk about building a team when dude isn’t even licensed. That’s like year 5-10, if ever, talk.

2) 25-40 leads is way too many for this guy. If he’s going FE, he should be working 15-20 TOPS. That’s 2400 in AP on average, per week, with a 20 closing ratio.

3) Personal opinion, but he shouldn’t do FE if he wants to work from the house. That product lends heavily to F2F. Also, that’s something he’s going to have to work to save when it lapses.

I respect people that sell FE. That’s a hard sales road.

On your 3rd opinion, which product do you think would be more accommodating for home work?

On your 3rd opinion, which product do you think would be more accommodating for home work?

I think Med Supps lend well to home sales. I also think term life does well.

FE apparently does good. My concern is that persistency kind of sucks with FE in optimum conditions at around 85%.

It’s easier to lapse something that already has a high lapse rate when you don’t have an in person connection with someone.

That being said, I don’t sell FE (but I have sold industrial in the past.) if others are having a good experience selling FE at home, then I would follow what they do.

To me, and just a personal opinion, FE is a hard sales life that I don’t really want to deal with. If FE is your passion, then absolutely go for it. Industrial really turned me off of low income homes and it doesn’t fit with my goals.

However, industrial is like poor mans FE. Like, I don’t have a bank account insurance.

Last edited:
Hello, all. I am interested in learning about sales avenues that would work as a scalable side hustle.

I am 30 with a family and a day-job that pays about $50K/year with benefits. I live in a small town of about 30k people.

I started doing some web design on the side, but I really want to get away from that for a number of reasons.

I started poking around and trying to learn about other side business avenues and I am trying to learn more about insurance sales.

My general question is how feasible this is as a side hustle (though I really hate that term). I find that I have an honest 20-30 hours/week to dedicate to things other than my day-job and family commitments.

1. How "scalable" is this? How few hours can a person dedicate to this and still have it be worth their while?

2. What are the available sales avenues for this? Is it mostly selling to individuals local to (your town)? Or are there sufficient opportunities for telesales/online sales?

3. What are some good resources to learn about "how it works"? I know virtually nothing about selling insurance.

4. How does it work? I understand that to do it as a side business I would need to work with an FMO/IMO (and honestly, I have zero interest in having another boss other than myself). How do people generally get started? Does it really evolve around a bunch of "door-knocking"?

5. What are the typical start-up costs? I know that I need the state course/exam, insurance of my own, and I already have a home office, phone system, etc. that I use for my existing side business.

6. Which type of insurance (lines of authority, I think it's called?) do you think would be best for a person in my situation?

I would start with an IMO that offers a supply of quality DM Leads in exchange for lower commissions. You won't earn as much money per sale - but you can earn more money overall.

You can always do something different down the road if you choose.

#SeeThePeople

I would start with an IMO that offers a supply of quality DM Leads in exchange for lower commissions. You won't earn as much money per sale - but you can earn more money overall.

You can always do something different down the road if you choose.

#SeeThePeople

Any IMO recommendations?

Back