As a "side hustle"?

I think people exaggerate what you have to do to be successful in this industry lol.

Rob, you are 100% correct.

I only had to sell both lungs, work 27 hours a day, eat nothing but pencil shavings and warm water, move out of my home and live in a cardboard box.

To get to the office, I had to walk uphill in the snow, with no shoes. The walk home, was somehow uphill too. Also in the snow. Without clothes because I couldn't afford them. The snow had broken glass in it. Did I mention that my clients would drive by in their cars and throw bottles at me to?

Totally doable.:goofy:

Last edited:
If you’re selling Med Supp and DVH only after year 4 you’re doing almost 80K a year

1 app MS per week for 50w
.5 DVH
10% attrition rate annually.

I make 64k a year as a government working in MI (which is notoriously low col)

Yeah, I’d bounce in a heartbeat. However, my goal isn’t to make 10x more. It’s just to be done with the level of work I do now.

That’s something I think Shawn isn’t taking into consideration.

I’m not trying to own my own agency, make mid 6 figures a year and run an empire.

I just want to make enough to cover my nut and go diving 9 months out of the year. Reducing my lead activity to referrals and my website and taking on clients instead of writing whoever.

You failed to mention that his full time gig was delivering newspapers issued once a week in a very small village?
LOL. No, he was active duty military and fought in two wars.... making about $40k at his peak.

Not in any way implying this is an easy business, its not. Way more people fail than make it, even working full time. To me, the most important thing to finding success (beyond being willing to work) is getting someone that can train you properly and show you the ropes. Finding someone willing to do that, that is not agenda driven or feeding you terrible or biased info isn't so easy for the avg person.
I personally never had that and it took me way longer than it should have to get my feet under me. That's why I feel like doing it on the side could be fine - you still have a paycheck which would lessen the financial pressure.

I have a full time job working roughly 70 hours a week I sell 6-10 insurance policies a month with an average commission of 12 to 1500 if I can renew at minimum of 85% my company will pay me 3000+ a month keeping that pace by 18 months if I increase productivity I will be able to earn even more the math makes to much since for this not to be your side hustles reach out if you need any help

I have a full time job working roughly 70 hours a week I sell 6-10 insurance policies a month with an average commission of 12 to 1500 if I can renew at minimum of 85% my company will pay me 3000+ a month keeping that pace by 18 months if I increase productivity I will be able to earn even more the math makes to much since for this not to be your side hustles reach out if you need any help

What kind of insurance are you selling? Do you buy leads or just work off of referrals?

I'm coming in late to this thread but wanted to say this: Yes you can do insurance as a side hustle but it would be better to begin it full time, then dial it back once the book of business is large enough to pay good renewals. The problem I've seen over the years with people starting insurance part time is that it takes a lot of time, energy, and focus to get this business off the ground, and if they didn't get ahead and stay ahead of it for the first couple of years then total burn-out was likely. I've seen that happen with lots of new agents. If you give it 100% for the first couple of years then it's not so hard to keep it going while dialing back the effort and doing something else along with it. Think of it this way: It takes a lot of throttle and focus to get a 747 off the ground but not nearly as much once you've reached cruising altitude. Insurance is much the same way.

I sold commercial insurance for 17 years and that took years to make a living. I started FE in January of 2018 out of Michigan. I feel if you buy leads once a month (100 mailers) or 25-40 week and make sure and hit 25 a week it’s not that hard. It’s frustrating and you have to have thick skin at times. I wouldn’t want to do this as a side hustle bc you can make more money doing this than most jobs out there. You build up a team and production dips while your training but getting back in Field alone 4 days a week- 15-18 set appointments and your golden

So, a few things:

1) Don’t talk about building a team when dude isn’t even licensed. That’s like year 5-10, if ever, talk.

2) 25-40 leads is way too many for this guy. If he’s going FE, he should be working 15-20 TOPS. That’s 2400 in AP on average, per week, with a 20 closing ratio.

3) Personal opinion, but he shouldn’t do FE if he wants to work from the house. That product lends heavily to F2F. Also, that’s something he’s going to have to work to save when it lapses.

I respect people that sell FE. That’s a hard sales road.

Back