As a "side hustle"?

IMO, the role of the insurance agent is changing. Cold calling isn't dead, but it's much more difficult. Direct Mail is becoming very expensive and takes a decent amount of time and money to start before you start getting results.

Content Marketing, however, is way cheaper. It takes about 6m to get it pumping, but that works for a PT agent; provided they're able to put in the work, it's cheaper and will market for quite awhile for them.

There are some guys online that do affiliate marketing videos on Youtube, The Income School. If you substitute leads for affiliate marketing, you can definitely use their process to drive traffic. Also, basic Local SEO works much faster.

Being completely transparent here:
For my website, I spend roughly 10-15 hours a week on content and revisions.

Monthly spend

I spend 7.99
7.99 for Wordpress plugins
47.99 for customer facing quote tool
18 for live chat
41.66 for the scholarship I offer
9.99 for local citation database listing with Moz

Total 133.62 a month.

So, for the cost of 2 weeks DM and 6m, I can have a a fully functional website that pulls traffic to me.

I can afford to wait.

I’m in a similar situation where I don’t need the first year commission to live off of.

Curious with your website. Are you trying to put out a certain number of posts/videos each week?

For me, I jumped into the pond out of a longstanding passion for all things financial, and for what it's worth, my decision to start part-time (on the side) was the correct way to go. Because insurance sales is 100% commission-based, I couldn't bear to quit my full-time day job - else I'd be at risk of losing the roof over my head and food on the table. In fact, I point it out to my clients today that I am never "desperate to make a sale" because anything that my insurance practice pulls in is simply gravy on top. For example, I take all IUL commissions "in trails" which is basically pay-me-a-litte-bit-every-year-but-forever instead of pay-me-a-big-chunk-once-upfront.

With that said though, as BADTROUT pointed out, even though you are physically part-time, you must be mentally full-time. There were a few nights where I literally had dreams of myself practicing my pitches.

Be sure that your family is onboard with your entrepreneurship too. In my first year, 90% of my evenings and my weekends were all booked - either doing internal work to advance my business or with meeting with prospects/customers. Looking back, I probably almost went mad that first year.

If you're adamant about problem-solving, then learn your market first and then bring the right products to follow. Not the other way around. For example, are you mostly dealing with mid-career's who are looking to plan for retirement? Or seniors who are looking at Medicare? Don't try to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Make your IMO/FMO your best friend because they're invested in your success. Because they only "win" if you write business, they will teach you all you need to know about products (or at least the majority). Be sure to shop around too, as not all IMOs are created equal.

If you don't end up going the SEO route, then another word of advice. If you go down this path, don't try to hard sell to your current network. They have already known you for years - and not as an insurance professional. You will be forced to make new friends and penetrate new markets in order to find prospects. Hopefully, you are an extrovert.

Best of luck to ya.

I’m in a similar situation where I don’t need the first year commission to live off of.

Curious with your website. Are you trying to put out a certain number of posts/videos each week?

Yes. Consistency is key. However, the post type is different each week. Nothing under 1,300 words. Also, I do a little Youtube, but only to enhance my blog/website.

So, three types of post:

Answering a single question: Can Medicare take my home? (Yes, this gets traffic) 1300 words

Answering a more in depth question: How are insurance agents paid? 2400 words

Pillar posts: ones that are likely to drive traffic to your website: 25 scams that target seniors and how to avoid them. 5000 words

If your post is under 1k, it’s probably served as an addition to a more in depth article.

I’m just starting to feel good about posting a 1,300 word post and 2400 word post on the same week. I was never a big writer, so it took me awhile to research writing that has a chance at ranking

You’re welcome to look at my website:

Ifixmedicare.com

I’m not reporting to be any authority, I’m only stating this is how I do things. Ymmv

Last edited:
There are several on here that started part time and doing well. Dave Duford and Josh Jones(HoosierLife) both started part time. :yes:

I did as well only I did give up[ my full-time gig and got a job working nights and weekends as to have days available to work the Insurance,

I would think it near impossible to do while working days Unless OP is talking life insurance may have more flexibility on hours

It can be done. My wife's cousin did it as a side gig for 2 years before quitting her job. But she was really committed to making it work. It also helped that her job at the time was in sales. So the transition was easier on her. She just needed product knowledge. Once she gained enough experience to where she felt she can maintain that income, she left her job.

I did as well only I did give up[ my full-time gig and got a job working nights and weekends as to have days available to work the Insurance,

I would think it near impossible to do while working days Unless OP is talking life insurance may have more flexibility on hours

I think it depends. You have to automate a lot. For example, the way my site is set up is that you know about the companies and costs before you reach out to me. If you leave information (or ask for a contact and I can’t immediately talk to you) I put you in an autoresponder that gives you some information and that I’m going to call you ASAP.

One of our long time agents does FE as a side business. He owns a convenience store/gas station as his main business that he puts the majority of his hours into.

He runs his FE leads two days a week. He writes between $150,000 to $200,000 every year. Earns at least one company convention every year to a nice place.

Overall I would say he does better with FE as his side gig then many agents do with it as their main gig.

But the guys who do well with it that way are fairly rare breed. The majority of people asking about doing Final Expense as a secondary thing are looking for something they don’t really have to commit much toward or work too hard. They expect it to be easier than what it is. Most of them don’t have the commitment to make it work. But not all. Some are keeping it as a side gig for the right reasons. You just have to be honest with yourself as to what your reasons are.

For those that have their head in the right frame of mind, there is no reason that it hinders you. The appointment you are sitting with doesn’t know whether you have 20 presentations per week or 3 presentations per week. And your skill set today is the same whether you are part time or full time. However six months from now your skill set will be greatly improved if you been doing it full-time compared to part time just because of the number of people you have presented to and situations you will have run into.

You will get better with experience. And your experience comes faster once you are full-time.

I’m curious - what is this?

As part of my content marketing strategy I offer a scholarship.

So it's a competition. I have 1 scholarship, worth $500 annually.

It's open to any MI resident that is in a 2-4year Allied Health or Nursing program at an MI school.

So, it's a three fold strategy:

1) I submit the scholarship to colleges who publish it. I get a mixture of .EDU follow/nofollow links. (Follow links from an EDU website are really great to Google. Colleges don't link spammy websites.)

2) There's an essay portion where I get content to post on my site. The question is something like, "Write about a barrier to healthcare for seniors in YOUR community and develop a solution."

3) The selection process is based on "votes"/shares on social media platforms. So I get social media love too, which is another great indicator to Google.

Back