ATT Retiree plan changing to UHC PPO?

kstein

Guru
1000 Post Club
I helped a decent number of people buy supplemental and get the $2700 reimbursement over the years. A couple of them are sending me an email that looks like this:

I recently received information from the AT&T Benefits group about being eligible for the AT&T Group Medicare Advantage plan run by United Healthcare. Just wondered if you knew anything about this plan against the ones you are going to recommend to us next week when we see you. ***** is looking into getting the form you requested now that we are into October.

Anyone have some insight?

I have seen a few "group" MA plans ADMINISTERED by but not insured by big name carriers. Often they use a VEBA trust. Benefits can be different from "street versions".

What happens if trust becomes insolvent?

What happens is company funding the trust goes belly up? What happens if severe financial problems? Does funding continue?

More questions than answers

I do quite a bit of business with AT&T retirees.
  1. You should understand that they will not get their reimbursement if they get an MA plan through you ( you likely already know this though). The must get MA and PDP plans through AON.
  2. Most of the retirees I've spoken to do not like the customer service they get from AON. (you likely already know this)
  3. As I see it, it's either Medigap or the MA plan. Explain the differences between Medigap and PPO Advantage Plans which are: 1. No preauthorization on a Medigap Plan, but that's not true with PPO. 2. PPO plans still have a network. (check to see if this new plan has the same copay for out of network).
  4. Do a "worst case scenario" with them to compare the potential costs between a Plan G and their PPO. Don't do this with Plan N because the worst case scenario would include excess doctor fees. The Plan G will likely win out.
Good luck!

Whats the rate /oop max for the group PPO plan? Is it different than the street PPO that retirees had available to them in the past, like say the UHC PPO Plan 1 with a $30mo premium and $4900 max oop?

Thanks that was helpful. Give up your $2709 reimbursement and 199% coverage w plan F for a managed care plan with 900 oop and crappy meals once you get out of the hospital. Seems like a great option.

Thanks that was helpful. Give up your $2709 reimbursement and 199% coverage w plan F for a managed care plan with 900 oop and crappy meals once you get out of the hospital. Seems like a great option.

I'm not seeing where they give up the $2700 if they go on the PPO? It's my understanding that as long as they purchase either an MAPD or a PDP through AON that they keep this.

Please tell me more. What did I miss?

With enrollment into the new AT&T Group Medicare Advantage (PPO) plan, subsidyeligible Retirees and Dependents who purchase individual dental and vision
plans through the Aon Retiree Health Exchange will be eligible to receive a Health
Reimbursement Account (HRA) credit for plan year 2021. This annual subsidy for 2021 is
$300 for the retiree and $200 for dependents.

https://www.uhcretiree.com/content/dam/UCP/Group/2021/att/2021_ATT_Announcement_Letter.pdf

I believe the 2700 reimbursement can be used to towards medical and rx copays and maybe even part B premiums

Back