Attention: Independent Agents/Owners

One2Envy

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and my name is Ronl. I'm located in San Antonio, TX. I have my P&C adjusters license and I'm in the process of getting my agents license to sell P&C& Life. I would like to open my own business as an independent agency in the near future.

According to alot of posts here on the forum I have become some what discouraged. I see alot of negative comments coming from you guys or girls regarding the business in general. I realize there will be ups and downs just like everything else in life but I must say I'm starting to wonder. Do you enjoy this business? I left the logistics and transportation industry to start this new endeavor. I know someone who is and indy and told me if I work for him he will pay me 50% commissions. Is this average?

Im trying to look at the bigger picture and I wonder if this is going to be a successful transition. This seems interesting to me and I believe there maybe some "real" income possibilities in this industry. Should I look elsewhere? How did you start? What advice do you have for a noob? All advice on becoming an indy would be appreciated. Please give me some feedback.

Thanks,
Ronl

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and my name is Ronl. I'm located in San Antonio, TX. I have my P&C adjusters license and I'm in the process of getting my agents license to sell P&C& Life. I would like to open my own business as an independent agency in the near future.

According to alot of posts here on the forum I have become some what discouraged. I see alot of negative comments coming from you guys or girls regarding the business in general. I realize there will be ups and downs just like everything else in life but I must say I'm starting to wonder. Do you enjoy this business? I left the logistics and transportation industry to start this new endeavor. I know someone who is and indy and told me if I work for him he will pay me 50% commissions. Is this average?

Im trying to look at the bigger picture and I wonder if this is going to be a successful transition. This seems interesting to me and I believe there maybe some "real" income possibilities in this industry. Should I look elsewhere? How did you start? What advice do you have for a noob? All advice on becoming an indy would be appreciated. Please give me some feedback.

Thanks,
Ronl

It all depends on you.

If the glass is always half empty.

This may not be for you.

If the glass is always half full.

Your already on your way.

Hello The New Guy,

I am now dumber for having read what you had to say. :twitchy:

Lol, Im kidding don't take offense, however I am looking for advice I can use. Any relavent information to the post above would be great. Please No motivational speeches. Thanks

First word of advice... Ronl ? buy a vowel.

When I started 20+ years ago as a scratch P & C and life agent there were no "do not calls" and direct mail actually worked to a certain degree, etc, etc, so it must have been easier then ? However, I would not hesitate to start a scratch agency today. I would approach the marketing differently, ideally buy a small book of business to start with, but certainly would not hesitate to do it all over again. And my other option was a pretty good one, to continue as an engineer and earn a very decent living working for someone else.

I tend to stereotype "naysayers" as mostly chronic underachievers who often choose to place blame anywhere other than on themselves. If you fit that description you should stay out of this business. If you are not afraid of hard work,long hours to start, failure after failure and getting paid more for working harder and smarter, I'd recommend jumping in with both feet.

Advice,(learned by past failures) build a good prospecting and especially a follow-up system for your target market, work it diligently and consistently, remain loyal to your clients and you may enjoy success.

Thanks 1Manshow,

I gotta tell you that vowel thing had me going, LMAO.
Unfortunate for me, mom and dad was on crack when they came up with my name,lol.

As for your advice I really appreciate you taking the time to chime in.

Are there any good programs out there that will help with prospecting and follow ups ?:idea:
Is it possible to buy a small book of business ?

Last edited:
I think it's all about the individual. The same can be said of any industry. In th eone I'm leaving (high-tech computers) there's people who love what they do and so they suceed, and there's people who are here to get a paycheck.

Back