Attention: Independent Agents/Owners

Hello The New Guy,

I am now dumber for having read what you had to say. :twitchy:

Lol, Im kidding don't take offense, however I am looking for advice I can use. Any relavent information to the post above would be great. Please No motivational speeches. Thanks

I didn't see it as a motivational speech. What he said was very relavent. If you're the type of person who can see the lesson in every failure and the opportunity hidden in every problem, you are a person who has potential to be a fit for this business.

If you constantly need motivation and motvational speeches, you may not be a good fit. Appears to me, he was more saying to take a measure of your attitude towards things than trying to motivate anyone.

I love this career! But it is like everything else, some people will always be negative and never be satisfiied. I think you see this attitude a lot is because some people are only looking for that get rich quick, and they might not see the results they are seeing from other people. This career will be what you make it, if you moan and groan and complain all the time you will get negative results. but if you try to stay positive and keep productive you will see good results, but having said that don't think you will make 100K your first year. Some do but keep your expectations moderate and you will be ok.

Set goals!

Example: You want to earn $100K

Devise the plan to achieve it.

Example: If you make 20% commission in health, and submit $500K in annual premium, you would earn $100K, this takes just 4 sales a week (average a/v $2500). That's 1 per day with a 3 day weekend every week and two weeks off per year.

Now we know the entire $500K won't get issued right? But we're also not including, referrals, accident plans, life, dental, etc are we? So you CAN earn six figures.

Position yourself to achieve your goals with a formula.

Example:
  • Work __ days a week
  • For __hours per day
  • Make ___ calls per day
  • Buy ___ leads per day
  • Write $___ in premium per day
Do this every day. Consistent action brings consistent results.

Focus.

During the time you've scheduled DO NOT be distracted by things that do not create income, such as facebook, the forums, emails or anything that does not generate the business necessary to achieve your goals. All of that stuff can be done after you hit the daily goals, and if you don't get to it, so what? You're still accomplishing the most important tasks every day, earning an income.

Be an expert.

Example: Know the industry, not just your products but the competition too and various nuances. Read the trade papers, insurance related magazines, blogs and articles. Much better than reading the newspaper and you won't miss the big news that matters anyway.

Be servant minded.

Do what's best for the client regardless of the commission. Take care of the them and the rest takes care of itself.

Learn sales skills.

Example: Buy books that have been highly recommended on other threads, read and re-read them, attend seminars, watch DVD's and apply the principles.

Let's face it, if a quoting tool, leads, a dialer, a website, etc, were all you needed to be successful there wouldn't be an 80% failure rate in this industry.

Persevere.

Do not be deterred by limiting beliefs. If someone tells you something can't be done, it usually means they either didn't or can't do it themselves.

I'd say good luck but I don't believe in luck, success is choice not chance.

Do well sir.

I tend to stereotype "naysayers" as mostly chronic underachievers who often choose to place blame anywhere other than on themselves. If you fit that description you should stay out of this business. If you are not afraid of hard work,long hours to start, failure after failure and getting paid more for working harder and smarter, I'd recommend jumping in with both feet.
Very refreshing.

don't think you will make 100K your first year. Some do but keep your expectations moderate and you will be ok.
Nice avatar. Attitude does make a BIG difference! But your statement above is limiting.

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."
~~Michelangelo

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the most helpful, straight-forward advice I've seen.

Will make a copy and keep it near. Thank you . :)

Never hurts to offer a prospect something extra they can use right away. Something that allows them to actually measure the value they receive. I call it the symbolic Mustang Convertable. Email me at [email protected] and we can chat.

Re: Attention: Independent Agents/Owners - Premium item as thanks

Never hurts to offer a prospect something extra they can use right away. Something that allows them to actually measure the value they receive. I call it the symbolic Mustang Convertable. Email me at [email protected] and we can chat.

What might that be?
I have travel certificates (stays in Hawaii and St. Thomas) I could use to close sales (used in another line of business) but didn't think I could use soemthing like this for doing business with me. Thought I MIGHT be able to use it as a drawing from say people who gave me referrals that month.

Back