Auto insurance went down by starting fresh quote instead of auto-renew

Rusty Shackleford

Hello folks - I am a Florida resident with Progressive; every six months I have my car insurance auto renewed but I was aghast at my rate going up by over 30% this period. I have had no accidents, great credit, and no tickets. I went ahead and logged out of my account and got a fresh quote with the same exact type of coverage as I had before - and this time it was nearly half of what I was going to pay!

Is there a reason for this ? I had been with Progressive for 15 years and every year my rate would either hold steady or go up by 20 dollars or so but in the past year-and-a-half, my rate has gone up by 100 dollars, then 200, etc.. and so on.

Why did doing a fresh quote like I just walked in the door result in such a lower rate ?

Hello folks - I am a Florida resident with Progressive; every six months I have my car insurance auto renewed but I was aghast at my rate going up by over 30% this period. I have had no accidents, great credit, and no tickets. I went ahead and logged out of my account and got a fresh quote with the same exact type of coverage as I had before - and this time it was nearly half of what I was going to pay!

Is there a reason for this ? I had been with Progressive for 15 years and every year my rate would either hold steady or go up by 20 dollars or so but in the past year-and-a-half, my rate has gone up by 100 dollars, then 200, etc.. and so on.

Why did doing a fresh quote like I just walked in the door result in such a lower rate ?
Ask your agent

A teaser quote done online has every conceivable discount loaded into it. Is your home insured by Progressive? The teaser will assume that it is. Do you do everything electronically? Have the smart app on your phone? Pay in full every 6 months? Listed every licensed driver in your home?

A teaser quote done online has every conceivable discount loaded into it. Is your home insured by Progressive? The teaser will assume that it is. Do you do everything electronically? Have the smart app on your phone? Pay in full every 6 months? Listed every licensed driver in your home?
Id add: Member of Nascar, Alumni Member, drive 5000 miles a year, etc, etc.

As fed up said, it's a teaser rate. Had you gone to check out and pay for the policy you would have found that the premium changed to much higher with a cockamamie reason.

Just happened to me. After my insurance with Pekin went up 50% I got a quote from Progressive online for $600 for 6 months for the same coverage. I went to pay for the policy and now it was $650 with a vague reference to my prior insurance. That was still competitive with any other company so I bought the policy.

I found the email address of a corporate executive and I sent an email to her for an explanation. After several rounds of BS from her, turns out that I had to be insured with the same insurance company for 10 years to get the $50 back. I only had 8 years with Pekin so I only got $11 back.

If you want to rattle a corporate cage her email address is [email protected]. She is a VP customer something.

By the way, have you used one of their Snapshot devices? Did it get you a lower rate.

I had the same thing happen with progressive. My insurance went down over $400 for a 6 month policy and it wasn't a teaser rate. We spoke with an agent and they didn't have an answer. The policy is up next month and the new policy is the same amount as the cheaper one we currently have. I also did another quote to see if we could get it cheaper as a new policy and it was $100 more.

My insurance went down over $400 for a 6 month policy

I strongly suggest that you take out your declarations page from the current six months and lay it side by side with the declarations page of the prior six months and carefully and thoroughly compare the two pages line by line to make sure you still have everything you had in the previous sixth months.

If everything checks out, enjoy your discount.
:yes:

Yes, everything is exactly the same. They kept jacking our rates up to the point that the accident accident forgiveness from my wife's accident wasn't worth staying anymore so I decided to shop around. Progressive was the cheapest but wasn't the only one that was less than we were paying. All of the coverages are exactly the same. Is there something hidden I should be looking for?

I had the same thing happen with progressive. My insurance went down over $400 for a 6 month policy and it wasn't a teaser rate. We spoke with an agent and they didn't have an answer. The policy is up next month and the new policy is the same amount as the cheaper one we currently have. I also did another quote to see if we could get it cheaper as a new policy and it was $100 more.
ask your agent

Yes, everything is exactly the same. They kept jacking our rates up to the point that the accident accident forgiveness from my wife's accident wasn't worth staying anymore so I decided to shop around. Progressive was the cheapest but wasn't the only one that was less than we were paying. All of the coverages are exactly the same. Is there something hidden I should be looking for?

again, check with your agent. that is what they are there for. to counsel you & assist you over the years. they have state issued licenses in many states, continuing education, training, employment of their local agency employees. you really dont want to go this alone. when something goes wrong or you get sued, do you want to admit in court you figured you were good enough to handle it & protect your current assets & future income?

Back