B2B Getting Passed Gatekeeper.

Make more cold calls.

Get the name of the decision-maker. Then, call back in a week and ask for him by name.

The rejectionist won't remember you.

I used to use this when I did B2B. I kept notes in my excel documents of their names. Next week when I went through my list again, I asked for them directly. Worked well!

You might want to keep in mind that the Gatekeeper, while ultimately not the decision maker, can influence the decision. Focusing solely on the person in charge, rather than the people who run the company (the two are not always one and the same) could be losijng you sales.

Think about it. My business would not run nearly as smoothly without my secretary, who acts as gatekeeper. If my secretary (read: right hand) comes to me and says that something will be better for the firm, I listen. It doesn't always mean that I always agree or will decide to move in the direction suggested, but I would pay a whole lot more attention and place a lot more significance on the conversation about it than I would to the ramblings of some cold call salesman.

I have landed numerous clients by befriending the "gatekeepers" and demonstrating how my services could assist them and make their lives easier.

Back