Becoming an AGLA Captive Vs. Special Representative

xrac said:
Pay outs are different for different products and someone who has worked for AGLA would have to tell you the percent. To understand how lucrative this can be you have to look at the total number of employees involved. The commissions are modest probably $5-$30 per month for a policy but in one sales call you may be able to place 5-20 policies or more and the persistency is usually high.

So then you are calling on a small business to add as many vol products to as many employees as you can?? That would seem like a long process.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
But then again if its a lead then the small biz is enquiring about the vol product??

Last edited:
I was with Independent Life. Our office combined with a Gulf Life office after the merger. We also took in Home Beneficial Life agents later.

I was with United for a short "smell" too!

I worked in Virginia Beach & Chesapeake, VA. Where were you? Where was your brother? Maybe I know one or both of you! (If so, I didn't do it, I don't care what your brother tells you!)

I worked out of Lakeland, Fl. My debit was from Bartow down to Zolfo Springs. My brother was the DM at Sarasota office for I.L. . Back then (so I heard...) it was easy to do 'special deals' for additional coverage: "You feelin' ok today, Mrs. Smith?" Most of these guys on here would crap their pants if they had to go into the neighborhoods we've been in. :laugh:

And speaking of Virginia Beach, I used to live there, too. My daughter was born there....that was 26 years ago (funny how easy it is to remember that). I worked for a door to door company selling framed pictures (believe it or not...). I managed a "road trip" as we called it to the Eastern Shore and did a killing....100+ sales in a week, and that was just my sales. Ahhh...those were the days.

joshuaejones1 said:
So then you are calling on a small business to add as many vol products to as many employees as you can?? That would seem like a long process.
But then again if its a lead then the small biz is enquiring about the vol product??

It can be a long process. The first sale is to the business (doesn't have to be small, but small businesses are easier). You've got to sell the owner on offering insurance products to the employees through payroll deduction. Then you set up an enrollment. If the business is small enough, they might let you enroll on the spot, but usually you're setting up another day or two. You want to meet with each employee individually. Easier to sell one at a time than making a group presentation. Groups can tend to talk each other out of being interested.
I was going to mention before about persistency, because someone made the comment that persistency is higher in groups. That can be true, but only if you've got a fairly stable employee group. New voluntary agents make the mistake of writing a lot of construction companies, for example, because they're easier to close when you're selling accident &/or disability policies. But employee retention in these companies can be poor & often seasonal. Yes, voluntary policies are portable, but most of the time if an employee loses the job or quits, you can kiss their policy goodbye!
Jerard said:
I worked out of Lakeland, Fl. My debit was from Bartow down to Zolfo Springs. My brother was the DM at Sarasota office for I.L. . Back then (so I heard...) it was easy to do 'special deals' for additional coverage: "You feelin' ok today, Mrs. Smith?" Most of these guys on here would crap their pants if they had to go into the neighborhoods we've been in. :laugh:

And speaking of Virginia Beach, I used to live there, too. My daughter was born there....that was 26 years ago (funny how easy it is to remember that). I worked for a door to door company selling framed pictures (believe it or not...). I managed a "road trip" as we called it to the Eastern Shore and did a killing....100+ sales in a week, and that was just my sales. Ahhh...those were the days.

I worked voluntary benefits with Colonial Life for a few years, and worked home service on the side with an independent carrier (that folded into NGL a few years ago). One of our groups was Portsmouth Housing Authority. Their maintenance yard was in the back of a very rough "welfare" apt complex. Which means you drove right past the drug dealers standing on the corner to get back there. These guys never took notice of me, because I give off a vibe of belonging there. I had several of my own clients in the neighborhood at the time. But one of our other reps drove in with his windows open on a warm spring day. A big guy on the corner stuck his head in the window & exclaimed, "I'm gonna kill you next time I see you in here!" My buddy refused to EVER go back again. Oh well, more for me!
I still do home service as part of my mix. But now I work in Dallas, TX. I think it might be a little rougher than anywhere I've worked before. But just like you'll remember, most of the people living in the rougher parts are good people, just low income. It's a relatively small number of knuckleheads that screw up the neighborhood for everybody else!

Last edited:
I would have started this question under a new thread, but quite frankly, couldnt figure out how.:-)
I have a problem. I'm an AGLA captive in my 5th week. Because of several reasons, personal as well as lake of training support, I have sold exactly one policy. I am still on the weekly salary. Mine is a 2 part -ok, 3 part- question. If after validation I have not hit quota, will they terminate me and expect to pay back the money? If I don't have the means to do so, could AGLA put a lien on my insurance license? Another alternative would be to go independent. Although I do need the weekly salary, I'd rather NOT have any sort of lien placed on my insurance license. I previously sold for AFLAC and have even gone F2F with the DSC but he won't give me the time of day. I can't make a good sell of AGLA's QOL product but could sell AFLAC'S hospital indemnity in my sleep. Am just worried about the potential ramifications on my career outside AGLA if I'm terminated owing them salary. And, would i oww them money? Ive heard agents on here saying yes but that was NEVER made clear to me-by the RM or my AM.. My AM is not a sales manager...she is a service manager. We have 3 bona fide salespeople in the local office; the rest are on the service side. Would this damage my license, or my chance to get on with another company? Help! All advice appreciated. Email me at apayne1998 at yahoo dot com if not here please. TIA.

I would have started this question under a new thread, but quite frankly, couldnt figure out how.:-)
I have a problem. I'm an AGLA captive in my 5th week. Because of several reasons, personal as well as lake of training support, I have sold exactly one policy. I am still on the weekly salary. Mine is a 2 part -ok, 3 part- question. If after validation I have not hit quota, will they terminate me and expect to pay back the money? If I don't have the means to do so, could AGLA put a lien on my insurance license? Another alternative would be to go independent. Although I do need the weekly salary, I'd rather NOT have any sort of lien placed on my insurance license. I previously sold for AFLAC and have even gone F2F with the DSC but he won't give me the time of day. I can't make a good sell of AGLA's QOL product but could sell AFLAC'S hospital indemnity in my sleep. Am just worried about the potential ramifications on my career outside AGLA if I'm terminated owing them salary. And, would i oww them money? Ive heard agents on here saying yes but that was NEVER made clear to me-by the RM or my AM.. My AM is not a sales manager...she is a service manager. We have 3 bona fide salespeople in the local office; the rest are on the service side. Would this damage my license, or my chance to get on with another company? Help! All advice appreciated. Email me at apayne1998 at yahoo dot com if not here please. TIA.

There is no such thing as a lien on your insurance license but there is such a thing as being placed on Vector and the company turning it over to collections. You need to get your contract out and read and understand what it says.

You are not required to pay back your financing if you fail to validate. Quit worrying and do the best job you can do.

I see a lot of this thread is about AGLA Voluntary benefits. If you are a Special Rep, you are going to really get shafted on the new contract if you write their cancer plan. The First year is 65% which is reasonable.. But after that they only pay 1 1/2% service fee which means you really have no vesting. There are too many companies out there paying 10-15% lifetime renewals on cancer to fool with AGLA these days.

For the captive agents, they only pay 12% as earned on cancer and the premium is not counted for the bonus matrix.

Forgive me for being d3ense....call it my ADD. Are you saying that, worst case scenario, AGLA would outright terminate me and I owe them no money??

"Are you saying that, worst case scenario, AGLA would outright terminate me and I owe them no money?? "
Read your contract. What you are describing above would be the best case scenario.

Back